PDA

View Full Version : Creeker meeting with Kathy Marshall

Doug W Swanson
11-26-2011, 11:21 PM
I just got back from spending the week of Thanksgiving with my in-laws in Phoenix. While we did some fun things in Arizona like hiking South Mountain, driving to Jerome (an old mining town built on the side of a mountain), etc. one highlight of the trip was meeting Kathy Marshall. Kathy and I swapped some wood a few months ago but I had just met her once (albeit briefly) last Christmas. Last Friday my daughter, Abby, and I drove out to Kathy's house for a visit. Seeing the wood pile, it was easy to find Kathy's house!

We chatted for a while and Kathy showed us her shop and her 'endless' supply of wood. She also showed us a bunch of her work and it was all very nice. The finish, form, wood choices are all well done! It's really hard to believe that Kathy has only been turning for a short time. In fact, Kathy's items were much nicer than some of the stuff we saw for sale in the boutiques we stopped at on our trip!

Here is Abby and Kathy!

Then Kathy let Abby and I pick out some wood to take home with us. Since we didn't have much room in our luggage, this is what we brought home. There is some Acacia, Sissoo, Mesquite, and Pecan. Now Abby and I just have to figure out what to make!

Thanks for everything, Kathy! It was great to see you again!

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Looks like a great time was had. Abby looks like she was having fun.

Steve Mawson
11-26-2011, 11:41 PM
That wood pile is growing from when I was there couple weeks ago. Kathy is a very talented turner. Good luck on figuring out what you are going to make, looks like you have a nice selection.

Kathy Marshall
11-26-2011, 11:47 PM
It was great to see you again Doug and have a chance to chat. I enjoyed meeting Abby, she's really a little sweetie!
Enjoy the wood, I just wish you could have taken more! Just let me know if you need a "refill".

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2011, 11:53 PM
I am sure the visit was a lot of fun!! Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

Jeff Fagen
11-27-2011, 1:14 AM
Looks like it's a struggle for tree to grow in those parts.

John Keeton
11-27-2011, 6:55 AM
Great visit, and great pics, too! I still think if we could get Kathy and Donny Lawson it close proximity, the production would be unbelievable with Donny's seemingly endless supply of wood. Kathy doesn't do bad either, with her tree trimmer friends.

Greg Just
11-27-2011, 8:07 AM
Looks like it was a real nice visit. Abby's got some great wood to use on that new lathe she got at the AAW Symposium.

Donny Lawson
11-27-2011, 9:23 AM
I believe me and Kathy would hang out well together. I believe I could out do her wood pile a few time over but she does have alot of wood. I just wish we lived closer together. We would have one heck of a wood pile.

David E Keller
11-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Looks like a good time! Nice to put a face with the name, too! Thanks for sharing the photos!

charlie knighton
11-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Great visit, and great pics, too! +1......................

Scott Hackler
11-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Sounds like a great time! How's Abby getting along with that lathe she won?

Baxter Smith
11-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Great pics of a great visit I'm sure!

Dan Forman
11-27-2011, 1:37 PM
Great photo's. My first thought seeing the woodpile was, how does she keep that wood from self destructing in the Arizona sun with no cover?

Dan

Doug W Swanson
11-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Sounds like a great time! How's Abby getting along with that lathe she won?

Unfortunately Abby hasn't had much lathe time lately. We do need to start making some Christmas presents so hopefully we can get some shop time soon!

Kathy is truly a great person, too!