PDA

View Full Version : Joint method

Kent E. Matthew
11-26-2011, 11:03 PM
I recently had to do a reformat. I need to know what jig you guys/gals use for joints. I know of the Dowel Max. I was considering a Jessem, but there was one that could do spline and dowels but you used a hand held router with it. Which one was that? I can't remember.

glenn bradley
11-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Mortise Pal? (http://www.mortisepal.com/index.html)

Kent E. Matthew
11-26-2011, 11:17 PM
That's it. Thank you. Thank you. I just could not remember the name. I know the Festool stuff is highly regarded here. When I was thinking about this stuff the Zip Slot Mortise Mill was interesting. I guess the idea came and went because I can't find them now. Any new systems pop up that I need to know about?

Jim Matthews
11-27-2011, 7:57 AM
There's a mortise pal for sale, right here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?176350-Mortise-Pal-amp-Air-brush-kit) in the Creek.

You're still on the hook to fabricate the loose tenon with this system.

glenn bradley
11-27-2011, 9:04 AM
I've been using the MP since the first design. I've used it for everything from picture frames (1/4 x 3/4" x 1" tenons)

to Maloof Style tables (1/2" x 3" x 3" tenons)

Very quick setup, very repeatable and you can make tenon stock out of scrap. Also does dowels if you'd rather.

Bill Huber
11-27-2011, 9:23 AM
The Mortise Pal is a great little tool and it really works well for doing mortises but it is not that great at doing dowels. It will do them but it is nothing like using a Dowel Max or the Jessem Doweling Jig.

So I guess the question is what do you use the most of, loose tenons or dowels. If you do a lot of doweling I would go with the Jessem and if I did more loose tenons then the Mortise Pal.

I have both but I have found that the Jessem gets used a lot more then the Mortise Pal, I guess the debate will go on for ever about which is best and which is stronger. I like using dowels because they are fast and I have never had a problem with then coming apart. In most cases once a project is done you will never know if there were dowels or tenons in the joints.

larry senen
11-27-2011, 1:29 PM
interesting looking tool. has anyone used it to install soss or hidden hinges?