PDA

View Full Version : A Good Day Turning

Nate Davey
11-26-2011, 8:32 PM
Today was a good day in the shop. I turned handles for my new Thompson Tools I picked up at the Symposium. The big skew has a big hickory handle, and man is it sweet to use. The 1/4" detail gouge has a maple handle as does the drill bit. The handle on the drill bit is too small, so I'll have to turn a new one.
Several days back, Tom Martin posted some spheres he had turned. I thought it would be fun to try one, so did this one ala David Ellsworths video. This was a whole ambrosia maple log that was pretty fresh. The EWT Rougher made getting the bark off pretty quick and easy. Unfortunately, I squashed the top a bit, so will have to try it again. Wall thickness is hand hollowed to 1/4" except the base which is a little thicker. Now I've set it a side to dry. Also, have a Dogwood square plate on now, will take pics when it's finished.

David E Keller
11-26-2011, 8:38 PM
Looks good, Nate! The sphere is a tough form to get right, and you've done a heck of a job with this one. Congrats on the new tools as well. Pretty good day indeed!

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2011, 8:39 PM
Nate - you did good - especially on the sphere! I have yet to try one of those, and when I do, sure hope it turns out as nice as yours!

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 9:43 PM
That sphere turned out nice Nate. I am hoping to do one of those.

Baxter Smith
11-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Some nice tools Nate. I turned a similar handle for my drill. Didn't clear the shavings often enough and got it stuck. The resulting spin gave me a pretty good burn blister. I am a little more careful now. A handle that wasn't round would probably be smarter. Not that I have done it!
I tried one of these sphere's after reading the Ellsworth book. Was kind of fun but I have yet to do another. Yours looks pretty good!

Michelle Rich
11-27-2011, 6:35 AM
great sphere! I like to see useful items posted, so I like seeing the handles. they look well done.

John Keeton
11-27-2011, 6:48 AM
Excellent work on the sphere! Handles look good, too. I haven't tried a sphere either - they look very difficult to get right, and I suspect a template would help.

Bob Rotche
11-27-2011, 6:50 AM
I picked up a couple pieces of metal from Doug at the symposium as well but haven't got to the handles yet. Well done and should give me a kick in the rear to get mine done too!

Allan Ferguson
11-27-2011, 12:07 PM
My one attempt at a sphere turned out dismally. Yours looks very good.