PDA

View Full Version : Trend Airsheild

Ira Matheny
11-26-2011, 7:32 PM
I am considering a personal wood dust respiration system. I find Walnut dust, as well and many types of wood sanding dust are starting to affect my breathing and causing nasal congestion.

I have found some information regarding the ‘Trend Air Shield’ system. I find the headgear weighs 1.7 lbs with one battery. A battery is said to last 4 hours. However, if you wish, you caninstall two batteries, [more weight] and work for 8 hours.

Is this system any good? I use tri-focal glasses. Can I use them under the hood? Is the face shield free of distortion? Is the motor noise at acceptable levels?

I previously heard a comment from a person complaining of the weight ofthis [or a similar] system. Are there other systems available? Can I get a battery pack a place on my belt that will remove some of the weight [and thus fatigue] on my neck?

I would like to get some feed back on this system and any other systems currently on the market.
Thanks
Ira

James Baker SD
11-26-2011, 8:55 PM
I have a Trend Airshield (original model not the newer version). Vision thru the visor is fine, I wear glasses as well. It is a little unbalanced feeling on the head, but not enough to make me not use it. My two complaints were even with two batteries, it did not run nearly as long as claimed and the rate of air flow was a little low for me--I have bad lungs and need lots of air to get enough oxygen and I found I could not do much exertion with the Airshield without gasping. I replaced it with a pro quality PAPR system from 3M with battery and blower on the waist. Expensive, but my doctor told me to keep the dust out of my lungs or find a new hobby. I can wear the 3M all day (battery good for 8 hours) and the helmut is very balanced on my neck. Biggest problem is I am used to slipping through narrow spaces and now when I try, the blower unit bangs into something. If your lungs are still good, the Trend may work very well for you, at least if you get better battery life than I did.

James

Matt Mackinnon
11-27-2011, 7:41 AM
I have the Airshield Pro, and cannot say enough good things about it. The design is far better that the other model. It puts the battery on the top of the unit along with the motor. This aids in the balance of the unit. It does weigh more than a baseball cap, but not enough to be uncomfortable.

The unit has a single rechargeable battery that does get a good 8 hours of run time. I find that I don't generally turn for that long at one shot. I may turn for 2-3 hours at a go, and this unit lasts me for 3-4 days between charges. You can use the unit while plugged in, but I went with the external charger and got an extra battery just in case my needs change.

I wear a baseball cap backwards and use a pair of the Zem red ear-protection that LeeValley (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=53610&cat=1,42207)sells. it allows the ring to sit on the back of the baseball cap brim and not get in the way.

Kent Chasson
11-27-2011, 6:05 PM
I had the older one and it was pretty uncomfortable. With the headband tight enough to keep it from flopping around, it gave me a headache in 30 minutes. I'm full time so keeping the batteries charged was a pain too. Maybe the new one is better.

I went back to a half face 3M with a HEPA filter until I took the time and money to install first rate dust collection. Hardly wear the respirator anymore.

Jerome Stanek
11-27-2011, 6:18 PM
On another forum they were talking about this mask that works really good. On the Vectric Melissa was offering a discount.

http://www.nicecarvings.com/quote/shop-nice-carvings#ecwid:category=1799380&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

http://rzmask.com/

John Coloccia
11-27-2011, 7:10 PM
I have an Airshield pro too, and it works well. I'm happy with it and would purchase it again.

Mike Cutler
11-28-2011, 6:35 AM
Ira

We use the Trends in airborne contamination areas, radioactive, wearing full PC's ( Overalls that cover your whole body and head). The temps and humidity can be pretty brutal, but the Trends handle it without fogging.
They're big bucks, but they work.