PDA

View Full Version : The Miraculous Chalice

David DeCristoforo
11-26-2011, 7:13 PM
A while back I posted some pics of a burlish lump I picked up at the dump. It had some interesting figure in it and a couple of people suggested turning some of it "green" to see if it held any real promise. So I decided to play with a bit of it just to see. Jamie Donaldson commented that the piece looked like layers had grown around each other, encapsulating the previous layer. I think he was right on with that. The dark areas of the "wood" are layers of very crumbly bark and as I worked on it, the pieces kept separating and I kept gluing them back together.
This happened so many times that I lost count. Well… Ok, it was not that many times. Only three. Or four. Or somewheres around there. But at any rate, it's probably more epoxy that wood at this point. I am calling it The Miraculous Chalice not because it represents a miracle in the biblical sense but only that it's a miracle that it exists at all. I'm afraid that when the rest of the pieces dry out, they will just fall apart at the bark lines.

John Keeton
11-26-2011, 7:41 PM
Well, at least for the moment, it is a strikingly beautiful piece!! I kind of like the different transition to the "cup" from the pedestal - not what one typically sees, but it sets it apart and adds interest. Proportions are great, and the ogee wonderfully done! Nice work, again, David!

Russell Eaton
11-26-2011, 7:49 PM
I think majestic is another good description. Another beautiful piece.

Tim Rinehart
11-26-2011, 7:59 PM
Very cool. I get pretty excited when a piece of gnarly wood that shouldn't stay together, does.
Beautiful lines and details on this David.

Curt Fuller
11-26-2011, 8:18 PM
That really is beautiful! I love the colors that come from all the adversity in the wood and the stem goes so well with it all too. An incredibly pretty piece.

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2011, 8:20 PM
Very cool! I really like all the color variations... reminds me of some sort of parfait. Pedestal/stem is about as elegant as they come! Nice work once again David!

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-26-2011, 8:28 PM
Great looking piece David. So was this turned to final shape while green or did you rough turn it green & return it after drying ? If turned to final thickness green it looks like if kept it's form with little movement.

David E Keller
11-26-2011, 8:35 PM
Now that's a cool looking piece! I tend to think all great turnings involve a fair bit of adhesive and profanity... You definitely got the adhesive part of the equation and, I'm guessing, at least a touch of the other. If you think it's gonna self destruct while drying, your only choice is to turn the rest of it soon!

Nate Davey
11-26-2011, 8:35 PM
That is a beautiful piece of wood. Love the form too.

Roger Chandler
11-26-2011, 9:29 PM
Geez David, you sure made something really gnarly into something beautiful............the touch of a master's hand no doubt........very pretty........and I hope it holds together for you ........it would be a shame to lose all that effort and beauty!

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 9:39 PM
That is one beautiful piece David. Really nice wood color.

Baxter Smith
11-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Your persistence paid off David. Great work on a tough looking piece of wood!

Steve Mawson
11-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Really nice, only thing better would be to watch you do it!!:)

Kathy Marshall
11-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Beautiful piece David! That wood is really cool! Hope it stays in one piece!

Michelle Rich
11-27-2011, 6:31 AM
that's definetly "silk from a sow's ear"!!

Bob Rotche
11-27-2011, 6:46 AM
striking coloration on the wood and your form is perfect as always.

Norm Zax
11-27-2011, 8:10 AM
Beautiful! I like indeed.

Primvs Aebvtivs
11-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Ah David, you are now a god... Seeing my goblet compared toyours, I feel ashamed to have shown it on here. Yours is truly a masterpiece, what with overcoming the separation issues! I shall see what I can do to improve my stems - perhaps not as thin as yours, but more shapely! Many thanks for nudging me closer to improving!

Scott Hackler
11-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Very nice David. I thought I was the only one that kept gluing wood back together until it finally gets turned! :)

Alan Trout
11-27-2011, 11:15 AM
David,

Pieces of wood like that are always fun and great at trying your patience. The end result was worth the trouble.

Alan

Dan Forman
11-27-2011, 1:31 PM
Well worth the effort to keep it together. Is the base from the same material? If not, you found a great match. It all works together swimmingly.

Dan

David DeCristoforo
11-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanx to all for the comments. So far, it's still in one piece! I may take Dr Keller's advice and use the rest of this stuff before it dries out and falls apart...

"Is the base from the same material?"

The base and the bead are from the same stuff. Some of it is actually just like wood!