PDA

View Full Version : Shallec as a finish?

wes murphy
11-26-2011, 7:03 PM
Whats the opinion on useing Zensser's Bulleye as a final finish on a well handled piece , like a pepper mill?

Wes

John Keeton
11-26-2011, 7:38 PM
Shellac has been used for centuries - it will do fine except if exposed to alcohol.

David E Keller
11-26-2011, 8:31 PM
My only concern would be the potential for the ultimate owner for refreshing the finish if needed. Is you're keeping it, I'd say go for it. If your gifting or selling it, I'd at least consider something easier to touch up such as an oil finish. Just something to think about...

Bill Bulloch
11-26-2011, 9:54 PM
I have three peppermills that I have just finished with BLO and Shellac. They look and feel skilky smooth and I hate to do anything else to them, but I was wondering about it's durability also. These are things that will be handled everyday.

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 11:33 PM
I finished my first peppermill for my table with shellac. Of course back then I thought that had to be as food safe as it gets. It does wear off with use. I took mine out, resanded and then put 3 or 4 light coats of lacquer on it. So far it has been a year and still looks pretty good. It get used most everyday. The shellac did hold up for about 2 1/2 to 3 yrs. All of mine now either get Wipe on Poly or Lacquer.

Russell Neyman
11-27-2011, 2:51 AM
Shellac has been used for centuries - it will do fine except if exposed to alcohol.

...and, of course, many household cleaners (Windex, some kitchen cleaners) contain alcohol. So be aware to the cleaning methods that are likely to be used with your finished piece.