PDA

View Full Version : The Hollowing of the Maple log that nailed me

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-26-2011, 6:59 PM
Ok now for a couple of pic's of the hollowing of that large maple log that nailed me.213925

The piece is 31" tall & I hollowed it 30 1/2" deep. Leaving the bottom 1/2" thick & I hollowd the side walls to 5/8" thick. Just a little thicker than I normally would but time has not been on my side lately and there as quite a bit of time invested in this piece already. I felt this would be acceptable & I have other more demanding projects I have to get to before Xmass.
Normaly I'd rough a piece like this to about 1/2" thick. Then air dry them.
You have to love it though when you have a sharp cutter & turn out those curly's when hollowing.213926

I tried to get a action shot & one with the Rolly cutter I use.213927 213928 The pic of the cutter didn't turn out to good but it's a Rolly Munro 2 cutter. I use it in a boring bar from Advanced lathe tools. I didn't get a shot of the hollowing system I use but you can see it at. http://www.thesandingglove.com/Advanced-Lathe-Tools-Boring-Bar-Systems.asp. I got my bars before thy started painting them blue as you can see in the 1st pic.

Russell Eaton
11-26-2011, 7:56 PM
Look like lots of fun. Thanks for showing your hollowing rig.

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2011, 8:22 PM
Wow - love the curlies!! Looks like quite the system for deep hollowing! Looking forward to seeing the vase once finished!

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-26-2011, 8:32 PM
Wow - love the curlies!! Looks like quite the system for deep hollowing! Looking forward to seeing the vase once finished!
Thanks Steve. I hope your patient though. Good chance it will be a year or so before I finish this piece.

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2011, 8:36 PM
Joe - I find your work is always worth the wait! Have fun with your Christmas projects!

Bill Bolen
11-26-2011, 9:42 PM
Cool action shots Joe! That Munroe cutter does a fine job. I have hand planes that don't produce curlies that uniform. Really looking forward to next year now!:D

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 9:45 PM
Those curlies are just to cool Joe. That Munroe cutter seems to do a great job. Looking forward to next year to see it finished.

Baxter Smith
11-26-2011, 9:53 PM
Another ditto on some impressive curls! I shall have to look into a Monroe cutter.;)

John Keeton
11-27-2011, 7:14 AM
Impressive! As I recall, you showed us this system at AAW?? Not sure, but seems like we talked about it. There was so much stuff there, it all runs together!!

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-27-2011, 8:28 AM
Impressive! As I recall, you showed us this system at AAW?? Not sure, but seems like we talked about it. There was so much stuff there, it all runs together!!
You are correct John. I showed you& Steve this at the AAW symposium but there was a lot going on at the time & time was very limited.

Dan Forman
11-27-2011, 1:56 PM
Whoa, thats a beefy system! Was curious to see how you would handle this.

Dan

Rick Markham
11-27-2011, 4:08 PM
Thanks for sharing Joe! I'm assuming you are using the 1 1/4" boring bar. Looks like a fantastic set up. I look forward to seeing the finished piece, once it's ready of course ;)