PDA

View Full Version : What type of wood for Domino tenons?

Rob Wong
11-26-2011, 6:48 PM
If you were going to make your own tenons for your Domino, what type of hardwood would you use? I'm thinking of making some tenons for the 10mm size Domino at the widest width for when I want to use it in some thicker and larger applications. What hardwood would you guys use taking into consideration price, stability, availability, ease of use, etc.? This is only for this size. I'm using the standard tenons for smaller application.

Thanks,
Rob

johnny means
11-27-2011, 2:20 AM
If you were going to make your own tenons for your Domino, what type of hardwood would you use? I'm thinking of making some tenons for the 10mm size Domino at the widest width for when I want to use it in some thicker and larger applications. What hardwood would you guys use taking into consideration price, stability, availability, ease of use, etc.? This is only for this size. I'm using the standard tenons for smaller application.

Thanks,
Rob

I would use what ever was lying around my shop that was too small for much else. In my case that would be Beech, Maple, Walnut, Cherry and Oak. I might even throw in a few made from Baltic Birch.

BTW I really like idea for extra wide tenons. I'll definitely be using that one.

Peter Quinn
11-27-2011, 9:40 AM
I usually use drops from the project I'm on for loose tenons. I've done the same for dominos in exterior projects.

Brian Jarnell
11-27-2011, 3:06 PM
I use treated pine, strong and not going to rot.

Paul Grothouse
11-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I have made them from Wenge for decorative applications already. If they are for structural applications, I would use something dense, make them slightly (and I mean slightly, to much and it will make a nice splitting wedge) larger and smush them in a vise.