PDA

View Full Version : Rubber replacement conveyor belt for Performax

Stephen Stark
11-26-2011, 6:27 PM
I just put on a new abrasive belt from Industrial Abrasives and for the life of me cannot get the machine to track properly. I tried switching the belt end for end to see if that helped but it continues to track toward the motor side of the platen, so I assume the belt is OK. I have been thinking of switching over to the all rubber style conveyor belt ($90) in the hopes that tracking problems will be less severe. Has anyone switched over and what were your experiences? I have a Performax 16-32 machine. (Older model with 2.5" hood vent) TIA

keith micinski
11-26-2011, 7:04 PM
If it you flipped it end for end and it is consistently tracking towards the motor the first thing to do is tighten that side up so that the belt tracks over. I have heard good things about the replacement belts for the performance but since you already have a brand new abrasive you may as well use it. Consistently tracking one way is a good problem to have. That means it is an adjustment issue. It's when you have inconsistent tracking that it becomes nightmare.

Stephen Stark
11-26-2011, 7:16 PM
I have made adjustments as suggested in the manual, to the point where there is no adjustment left.
I tighten the side that the belt is tracking towards, to the extent that there is a bubble on the other side of the belt.
Life is too short to spend fooling around with stuff like this, so I wanted some input on the rubber belt.:)

keith micinski
11-26-2011, 7:57 PM
I understand what your saying about not wasting time but if the belt is doing that on both sides with no adjustment left I would be willing to bet you have something else wrong and a rubber belt isn't going to solve that regardless.

Tom Gerken
11-26-2011, 9:43 PM
I had the same problem with my 16/32. I ended up selling it partly becuase of this. The other problem I had with the abrasive belt is that if left in one place too long (not used) it developed a "kink" in the belt.

If I had kept it I would have gotten a rubber belt to deal with the "kink" issue.

Good luck, hope it works fo you.

david brum
11-26-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm a big fan of the Accura belt. It's more slippery than an abrasive belt, so you have to tighten the infeed/outfeed roller tension. Once that's done, it's great. Mine seems to track fine (i.e. it still periodically needs to have the tracking adjusted but it's not bad).

Angie Kopacek
11-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Don't feel bad, I had the same issue with a 22-44 belt. Talked to the rep and found that they had a bad bunch of belts, something with the way they were seamed together. Finally got it to kind of work with the same issue you had - very tight on one side and loose on the other. When I replaced the belt recently after it had gotten worn, the new one tracked properly within 5 minutes. See if you can get the belt swapped out.

Michael Weber
11-28-2011, 11:14 AM
I have the same problem with an older performax 16/32 I got used. It had that identical problem when I purchased it and still does to this day. New belts from Industrial Abrasives and and an OEM belt made no difference. I have adjusted until the cows came home with no success. Not sure what's going on but it's not the belt and its not the adjustments. Like the OP, it doesn't matter how loose or tight the belt is on either side, it still tracks toward the motor.:(

Kevin McCormick
11-15-2016, 10:15 PM
I would like to bring back this thread to ask if the rubber belts are still available for the 16/32 and if so could you suggest a supplier. Thanks

kevin

John K Jordan
11-15-2016, 10:29 PM
I have made adjustments as suggested in the manual, to the point where there is no adjustment left.
I tighten the side that the belt is tracking towards, to the extent that there is a bubble on the other side of the belt.
Life is too short to spend fooling around with stuff like this, so I wanted some input on the rubber belt.:)

I don't remember the exact details, but one version of the manual has the wrong instructions for tracking. Two of us compared our manuals and they were contradictory, one said to tighten the wrong side. You might check. Maybe call?

I remember I had trouble at one time but eventually got the tracking right and it hasn't changed. (I have the 22-44 model)

JKJ

John Aperahama
11-16-2016, 12:39 AM
Klingspor's Woodworking

Ken Krawford
11-16-2016, 7:17 AM
That's what happened to me. I reversed what the manual said and now my belt tracks perfectly.

I don't remember the exact details, but one version of the manual has the wrong instructions for tracking. Two of us compared our manuals and they were contradictory, one said to tighten the wrong side. You might check. Maybe call?

I remember I had trouble at one time but eventually got the tracking right and it hasn't changed. (I have the 22-44 model)

JKJ