PDA

View Full Version : Where is Jeff Nichol

Harvey M. Taylor
11-26-2011, 5:21 PM
Is Jeff out because of his back? A friend is wanting a steady rest for his lathe.
Max

John Keeton
11-26-2011, 5:22 PM
I got an email a few days ago - my guess is that he is waist deep in deer hunting!!

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 5:24 PM
Kinda wondered the same thing. I figured either hunting or his back may be out again.

Scott Hackler
11-26-2011, 5:30 PM
I haven't talked to him in a few months. My guess is deer hunting. I think he trys to get a years worth of meat every season so it takes a while. :)

David DeCristoforo
11-26-2011, 5:36 PM
I always thought "back out" and "gone hunting" were synonymous...

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2011, 5:45 PM
PMed with Jeff not too long ago... he's hunting! Couple of more days and the season closes... so it won't be long and he'll be back online.

Bill Bolen
11-26-2011, 5:49 PM
;)A really good guy....miss his post's so hope he can fill the meat locker soon.

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-26-2011, 6:15 PM
Is Jeff out because of his back? A friend is wanting a steady rest for his lathe.
Max
I use a steady rest made by Advanced lathe tools. It's really heavy duty & available through the Sanding Glove.

Jeff Fagen
11-27-2011, 1:21 AM
I called him a couple of weeks ago,he's been busy with wood harvesting and projects,and of course we're knee deep in white tail season here.

Jeff Nicol
11-27-2011, 10:13 PM
I am still alive and kicking, but hunting was good for us and we filled the freezers without any troubles. We saw 65 deer the first 2 days of the season and 7 of us harvested 11 with only 2 little spike bucks. I never saw any horns at all but you can't eat them anyway! I still can hunt for the next week with the muzzle loader and then until January 8th with the archery gear, and I may get out a few more times to see if I can get another one to hang on the wall. Not much room left for more, but I can trade them out when I need different views from my lazy boy.

Enough of that babbling, I have been trying to get some turning done, as one of the galleries is looking for more to sell and I am not doing so well so far, lots of things almost done and I have nothing to do at all tomorrow so all shop time. I did pull my hamstring a couple weeks ago and it is finally loosening up so I can stand and walk without a limp. So that goes well with my bad back, knees, arthritic hands and the torn up shoulders......oh to be 25 again and know what I know now! I would not have done all those stupid things that wore my body out, or I would have used my head more and not my brawn! Maybe in another life, so I will be back around some more here on the creek.

Some big (35-40") silver maple stumps to harvest, in the next week or 2 also, were left from a timber harvest in a swampy area and are 4-6' tall and most have very nice spalting and great figure in them!

Have a great night,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Jeff - congrats on your successful hunting so far! Hope you get in some shop time soon! Looking forward to seeing some more of your work!!

Bill Boehme
11-29-2011, 3:36 AM
Max

Thanks for checking on this for me, Max. I just recently got a new Robust American Beauty and have been turning a very large vase from a huge mesquite crotch that started off weighing several hundred pounds (and, the bed of my pickup truck has a nice large swale to prove it :D). After I roughly chainsawed it to shape and mounting a faceplate on it, I was finally able to hoist (without the benefit of a real hoist) it up onto the lathe. I now have the exterior nearly at the shape that I want and it suddenly occurred to me that just perhaps my handheld hollowing tools with a reach of about nine inches at absolute best might not be enough for this behemoth. Not only that, I came to the realization that once I remove the tailstock, it might also be advisable to have something to support the free end of the overhung load so that it is not trying to strip the threads between spindle and faceplate. So, I consulted my good buddy Max Taylor who has at least one of every woodturning gadget known and probably a few that are unknown and he sez that I need to get something like this ... (gesturing towards his giant steady-rest parked near his Powermatic). He said that a fellow by the name of Jeff Nicol made it and he would try to track him down. Anyway, I found Jeff's web site and noticed that he is out of the tool making business since the turning part of his business is keeping him plenty busy. I guess that this means that it is time for Plan B (go to Max's well equipped shop, make a mess, and then leave :)). Max might have a Plan C in mind (go buy my own cool gadgets).