PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Miter Saw, any good?

Jim Foster
11-26-2011, 4:23 PM
I saw a Miter Saw on Craigslist for $50, can anyone offer an opinion. I'd like one, but do not know anything about them yet. (Trying to get more motor-less)

Erik Manchester
11-26-2011, 4:40 PM
Jim,

As long as the saw plate is straight and sharp, and the saw guides permit free travel it should work fine. For that price I would go for it as it looks like a Millers Falls Langdon Mitre Saw and they were excellent in their day. Take a good look at the cast iron to see if there are any cracks, and that the adjustment mechanism is complete and smooth running (a little lube may be required). I expect that the saw will need to be sharpened. If you buy it, post better pics when you get it home.

Bill Houghton
11-26-2011, 4:41 PM
Looks, from the small photos, like it could be decent (depending on condition). Look, first, at whether things are square (back square to the bed/base on which you'd put the stock being cut, for instance) and straight (saw should be straight as you sight down the back AND the teeth, a straightedge laid along the length of the bed shouldn't show gaps at ends or toward the middle). Also sight from one end of the bed to look for twist.

It resembles, and may be, a Millers-Falls or possibly Goodell-Pratt box. Either one would be fine.

Mark Dorman
11-26-2011, 5:12 PM
This might help a link to an owners manual for Millers falls Langdon box. http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-borTools/MillersFalls/pubs/mf-MiterBoxes/MF-LangdonMBox-ne.pdf
I enjoy the one I have/ Make sure it has the stops to keep the blade from bottoming out on the frame.

Andy Margeson
11-26-2011, 10:26 PM
If it's the Millers Falls/Langdon, it is a very nice one. They are very well made and work like a charm. I bought one that was quite rusty and it cleaned up very well. I think you will really appreciate having it.