PDA

View Full Version : "Major" Box Elder Gloat

Donny Lawson
11-26-2011, 4:06 PM
I've been working on this all day and alot of it is home now. I've got about 8 more large pieces like whats in the back of the truck and then I have to deal with the trunk of the tree. I measured it and it was 35 inches. It's all my sthil wanted today even with the 20" blade. It took me over an hour to cut through the bottom and drop this big monster. Two blade sharpenings and some sweating and it's finally down. It will be Monday before I can get back over there. I just need to figure out how to get this thing on a trailor. It's all of 10ft long and at 35" its a monster. I just hope it's worth it. My back hurts and I still have to unload it from the truck. I did hit a nail on the bottom right in the center. What you think???

Baxter Smith
11-26-2011, 4:09 PM
What do I think?........:) How is your outboard stand coming along?:D

John Keeton
11-26-2011, 4:12 PM
I think that trunk section is going to have some really nice wood in it!! The rest of it ain't bad either. Donny, it is a shame you don't live closer to Kathy Marshall - you guys would make a great team!!;)

David DeCristoforo
11-26-2011, 4:19 PM
That looks like some awesome wood! Maybe enough for a week or two...

Roger Chandler
11-26-2011, 4:42 PM
Nice flame figure in that Donny.................ought to keep you busy for a while, at least...............nice haul!

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2011, 4:43 PM
WOW! Now that is some pretty wood!! Looking forward to seeing it turned!! Have fun but be sure to work safe!

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 5:22 PM
Holy cow Donny that is some pretty wood. Can't wait to see some turned.

Scott Hackler
11-26-2011, 5:38 PM
Excellent score! I love flame box elder, but then who doesn't? :)

Bill Bolen
11-26-2011, 5:52 PM
Gorgeous stuff. Makes me wish I was closer to Ga.....I'd be over to "help" in a flash!!

charlie knighton
11-26-2011, 6:59 PM
awesome.............

David E Keller
11-26-2011, 7:24 PM
Looks like a great haul, Donny! That lower section of the tree is liable to have some great figure in addition to the flame!

Dick Wilson
11-26-2011, 7:27 PM
Boy, there are a lot of beutiful bowls in the back of that pick-up. Happy turning.

Bob Bergstrom
11-26-2011, 7:37 PM
You think your tired and sore now, wait till you have to turn all that wood. Day after day of looking at the same gorgeous flamed box elder. I hope you can hold up under all that turning. Enjoy, and yes I am totally envious. Thanks for sharing such a great haul.

Donny Lawson
11-26-2011, 8:05 PM
If I can get all this home I think I may have bids on (2) more trees just like it. I will have a ton of it then. Thats a good thing though. I'll let you know.

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-26-2011, 8:19 PM
Great haul Donny. Looks like it's time for a beer & little rest before you tear into all that turning ahead of you.

Greg Bender
11-26-2011, 8:39 PM
Donny,
that is one solid load of gorgeous wood.I wish you weren't 600 miles R/T away. Sure would love to buy some of those next two tree's if their anything like the first one.Look forward to seeing what you create.
Greg

robert baccus
11-26-2011, 9:02 PM
Thats some really bueatiful and rare wood. i lucked into a pile 1/2 that size back in sept. be sure and wax the cut ends. there is one problem in a big inventory of boxelder. it will mildew black in a heartbeat. you may like it, you can always call it spalted. even pieces roughed out and waxed mildew. the best results i observed was to rough it out and let it dry out. if you can keep it cold enough it should hold back the mold. good luck------------old forester

Bill Bulloch
11-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Nice haul there Donny. But, you know that you will need to turn it soon...that stuff is like Magnolia and dries out fast.

Steve Mawson
11-26-2011, 11:49 PM
I think I lived closer to Chatsworth, GA. You must be living right. Way to go.

Kathy Marshall
11-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Wow! That's more like a Super Gloat! Looks like some really nice wood that should make for some beautiful turnings!