PDA

View Full Version : Relay for life raffle

Bob Rotche
11-26-2011, 3:12 PM
We do fundraisers throughout the year at my office to raise money for Relay for Life. I donated a couple bowls last year and they were a big hit so I was asked to do it again. 2 are ambrosia maple, one is black walnut. Largest ambrosia is about 11x4", smaller is 8x4". Walnut is 8x3". All are about 1/2" at the rim and quickly thin down to about 1/4" which gives them a nice thumbhold. All are finished with danish oil and Beall buffed. As you can see, I've been working on my beading skills as well as a nicer bottom look. Did 2 more similar ambrosia pieces which I gave to my mother in law and son's girlfriend when they were over for thanksgiving. As always, C+C welcomed and appreciated.

Roger Chandler
11-26-2011, 3:19 PM
Bob,

Those are as nice a couple of bowls as I have seen in a long time! Love that ambrosia maple and your form is just superb on it............the walnut is pretty too, but that ambrosia maple is a real looker!

Fine work, once again, my friend! Great cause as well...............they ought to bring a fine donation to the relay for life!

David E Keller
11-26-2011, 3:35 PM
That first ambrosia piece is killer! Love the form and the bead detail is just right! I like the second piece, but I think it could do with fewer beads and perhaps a slightly shorter foot... Those are pretty tiny nits to pick! Kudos to you for donating such wonderful stuff to a good cause!

John Spitters
11-26-2011, 3:36 PM
Totally love those ambrosia maple bowls

John

Baxter Smith
11-26-2011, 4:29 PM
Bob, that first ambrosia bowl is sweet, sweet , sweet! I have some roughouts drying. If they came out looking anything like these I would be ecstatic!

jake Niedling
11-26-2011, 4:43 PM
Great work and nice finish. I think it is outstanding that you take the time and make donations like this for a good cause.

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 5:16 PM
Really nice bowls and finish but the first ambrosia is tops.

Bill Bolen
11-26-2011, 6:01 PM
Gorgeous pieces all. I'm positive they will bring in some nice $$ and a re-request for next year!!

Curt Fuller
11-26-2011, 8:25 PM
Bob, those are all great bowls. I sure like that rim style you do that gives a good holding point on the bowls. The wood is great in all of them too. But the best part is that you're donating them to such a good cause.

Bob Rotche
11-28-2011, 7:19 AM
Curt, I learned that rim style from Dale Larson when I took a class from him at John C. Campbell. If the top is a bit thick and then you thin it out over about the next 1", you get a very secure feeling thumb grip when carrying. I think its also important to tilt the rim inward to give it some movement and avoid a "chunky" look.

Norm Zax
11-28-2011, 7:53 AM
Love those Ambrosia bowls!! A note and a query: small foot for sure. Its a matter of taste and still...
Query: whats you beading tool of choice and what is the finish on the ambrosia bowl? Thanks!

John Keeton
11-28-2011, 8:01 AM
Bob, I agree with the others on the first Ambrosia being the pic of the litter, but you did an exceptional job on all of these. I love walnut, but that Ambrosia is some beautiful stuff!

Bob Rotche
11-28-2011, 8:57 AM
Norm, I'm really a beginner at beading but what I've been using is a spear point scraper to make a series of grooves (could also use long point of a skew) and then use a detail gouge to round over the area between. Not too difficult with a little practice. Was getting some ridges but they sand out easily unless its very hard wood and my later efforts have been smoother. Not quite as uniform as a beading tool but not bad and it is a handmade item so I feel that is ok. I'm also confident that increased uniformity will come with practice. As far as finish, these are all finished with danish oil and Beall buffed which is my "go to" finish as its fairly idiot proof. Have been using some antique oil recently which may give just a bit more of a gloss.

charlie knighton
11-28-2011, 10:13 AM
all are very nice Bob, i like your bottom of the walnut turning the best

Tim Rinehart
11-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Fantastic bowls and cause Bob. The heavier area for holdability is a great idea. For bowls intended to be used, I think I subconsiously thought about that without it always being articulated. Heavier in right place works well on these pieces and I like the beading on the bottom.
Just a suggestion, as the finish looks great...and I've recently taken a shine to using AO also, is that a bowl like this that has great potential for actual usage, the easier the finish is to maintain appearance or touch up, the better.

Mike Mahoney did a great demo at the NC symposium on making heirloom pieces and while he uses a couple other finishes for stuff that isn't meant to be used, he suggests a finish like his walnut oil that is easy for someone else to retreat later if needed. Use of salad bowl finishes (food grade mineral oil) is fine too...he just likes the walnut oil best and has had good results long term with it.

Bob Bergstrom
11-28-2011, 11:46 AM
That's some beautiful bead work there. The wood is gorgeous. Someone is going to get a super nice bowl. Thanks for sharing.