PDA

View Full Version : What do you use???

Dwight McNutt
11-26-2011, 2:53 PM
What do you use and what size, to turn the basic shape of a hollow form? Anywhere from to a small size to a large size.

Dwight

Scott Hackler
11-26-2011, 3:00 PM
From a palm sized up, I use a Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge. Its my "go to" tool. If you have or are thinking of ordering, the American versions are measured different England 3/8" = 1/2" American Gouges.

David E Keller
11-26-2011, 3:37 PM
I typically use a 1/2 V bowl gouge and a 3/8 detail gouge for the outside of my hollow forms. If they're oriented endgrain, I use a roughing gouge quite a bit.

John Keeton
11-26-2011, 4:14 PM
A Thompson V 1/2" bowl gouge and a D-Way 1/2" bowl gouge for really smooth cuts.

Wally Dickerman
11-26-2011, 4:31 PM
On anything but very small HF's I use a 1/2 in. (UK size) bowl gouge. I refine the shape, using a very light touch, with a Raffan type scraper. Ever watch him finish up the outside of a bowl with that tool? Sometimes use a bowl gouge in a shear scrape mode, also with a very light touch. Depends on the wood and how it's cutting.

Always going with the grain.....

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2011, 4:40 PM
Dwight - I use a DT 5/8" V bowl gouge on just about everything! Lately - because I have been turning some larger endgrain pieces - I find that a spindle roughing gouge works quite well...

Dan Kralemann
11-26-2011, 4:44 PM
A Thompson V 1/2" bowl gouge and a D-Way 1/2" bowl gouge for really smooth cuts.

John,

Why/How does the D-Way bowl gouge give a smoother cut than the Thompson bowl gouge? Also, is this particular to the 1/2" gouge, or to all sizes of gouges between these two name brands?

Thanks, Dan

John Keeton
11-26-2011, 5:11 PM
John,

Why/How does the D-Way bowl gouge give a smoother cut than the Thompson bowl gouge? Also, is this particular to the 1/2" gouge, or to all sizes of gouges between these two name brands?

Thanks, DanDan, the flute of the D-Way gouge is highly polished and IMO that provides a keener edge. It is also a little more "round" in the flute, so the gouge does not have quite the mass of the Thompson gouge. For that reason, I tend to use the Thompson for general shaping, and the D-Way for the finishing cuts. The D-Way is M42 Cobalt, with a Rockwell of 67-68, and I can't tell much difference, if any, in its ability to hold an edge vs. the Thompson 10V.

Please understand, I like both of them! I have several Thompsons and some D-Way. I am pleased with both.

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 5:15 PM
I also use a DT 1/2" V bowl gouge to shape. I have a couple of Raffan scrapers to refine and smooth the outside.

jake Niedling
11-26-2011, 6:58 PM
A sharp 3/8" or 1/2" bowl gouge. The key is sharp. My 3/8 and 1/2 have the same grind, so I can switch between them with out a problem. I have a few Thompson tools and they are sweet and hold an edge very well. They others work too, just will need to sharpen more often. Most of us don't sharpen often enough.