PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a lathe

Jaromir Svoboda
11-26-2011, 10:42 AM
I think it is time to buy a lathe.Never used one before.I dont want to buy something I will end up selling in few months.
I was looking at Grizzly G0462 lathe,its 2 hp,16 x 43",10 speeds,its $ 500.
Yesterday saw heavy duty G1495 on Craigslist ,its 3/4 hp,14 x 40",7 speeds,he is asking $ 775 with G2891 duplicator and mobil base.I dont need duplicator so I can get it for about $ 500.
Question is why heavy duty lathe only have 3/4 hp?
Should I look maybe for lahte with variable speed.I dont want to spend more than $ 1,000.
Thank you.

Derek Gilmer
11-26-2011, 11:09 AM
What do you want to turn? I'm just a noob but had a similiar budget at first. Then some very wise folks pointed out a lathe is just part of the cost. I ended up going with a delta 46-460. I can get a bed extender later to turn longer stuff. It has variable speed, good power and a great reputation. Amazon has it for around 530 after rebate. The other 470 can pay for a grinder, tools, chucks, wood, sandpaper, turning videos, more tools, more wood, a good face mask, a good dust mask, and dinner for your wife after you spend all night standing at a lathe :)

P.s. The reason I passed on the grizzly was 500 rpm is fairly fast to spin a large bowl blank and it is a reeves drive I think. So it will have some maintenance issues a true variable speed won't. And the delta is reversible for sanding which is nice.

Myk Rian
11-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Look for a used one.
My Delta 11" lathe was free. Tooling cost $400-$500.

Fred Belknap
11-26-2011, 11:35 AM
My first lathe was G0462 and I would like to steer you away from it. Minimum speed is like 600+rpm. The tool rest and banjo leave quite a bit to be desired. I kept mine about a year then I ordered the G0698. It is a pretty good lathe and has features found on much more expensive lathes. It has some issues when using non Grizzly aftermarket items like tool rest and chucks. There is some fairly easy work around.
These are the only lathes that I have hands on experience with.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Did you know there's a Turners Forum here? Great place, we'll get you to spend tons of money.... LOTS of skilled turners.

The consensus is to buy the New Delta. Variable speed with reverse. Great lathe, I've turned on one. You'll probably not need to upgrade for a while. As mentioned there are hidden costs. Tooling, personal protection equipment is a must. Most say the tooling is more than the lathe......

Rob Holcomb
11-26-2011, 1:14 PM
Easy decision. delta 46-460. You will not be disappointed. Variable speed and reverse for sanding makes things so much easier.

Jaromir Svoboda
11-27-2011, 10:54 AM
I will go with Grizzly G0632,16 x 42" variable speed.

Mark Ashmeade
11-27-2011, 1:35 PM
I bought a little Rikon midi lathe, which was fine, but had been told the lathe to get is a Delta 1460 from the 40s or 50s. I didn't believe it, and stuck with the Rikon. About a year ago, a 1460 came up for a couple hundred dollars, including nearly every accessory made for it and about 50 chisels. I paid the money and haven't looked back. It's just about indestructible, inexpensive and big enough that I won't grow out of it any time soon. I sold the Rikon for about what I paid for the Delta too.

I'd recommend trying to find one.

Roy Turbett
11-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Visit a woodturning club and talk to the guys. Chances are you can find a good deal on a used one and try it out first.