PDA

View Full Version : First Aussie burl

Bob Rotche
11-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Picked up a piece of Red Mallee at the NC Woodturners Symposium and made this shallow natural edge bowl. Was a little apprehensive considering the horror stories I've heard about this stuff but I was pleasantly surprised. It actually turned fairly well. Will definitely have to try more of this in the future. Beautiful material. This one measures roughly 9x2" and about 3/16 thick. It is finished with danish oil and Beall buffed. Wife has already claimed it so it must be OK! C+C welcomed and appreciated.

Robert McGowen
11-26-2011, 10:35 AM
You have the "bowl" portion very well centered and everything looks nice and even. I would have to give it an A+.

Scott Hackler
11-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Very nice Bob. I turned a piece a few months ago and wish I would have taken the lip down as thin as yours, but didn't know how my $35 chuck of wood would react to being thin. Very nice work.

Curt Fuller
11-26-2011, 10:43 AM
That's beautiful Bob! I've only turned one but it made me wish I had a pile of them in my shop.

Jim Burr
11-26-2011, 10:53 AM
You did that one proud Bob!! Really cool for your first time out!

charlie knighton
11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
very nice, your wife will make that a heirloom

Michelle Rich
11-26-2011, 11:02 AM
oooohhhh, now that isspectacular! gorgeous

Dan Forman
11-26-2011, 2:42 PM
Very nice indeed! Red Mallee is known as one of the harder burls, so was surprised to hear that it went so easily. Gotta try some.

Dan

Roger Chandler
11-26-2011, 3:20 PM
Great arrowhead shape on that burl! That is a fine use of that beautiful wood.................nice going Bob!

John Keeton
11-26-2011, 3:57 PM
I admire anyone that can turn Aussie burls successfully!!! And, you certainly did that, Bob. Very nice piece.

Baxter Smith
11-26-2011, 4:10 PM
Great job on a beautiful piece of wood Bob!

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 5:23 PM
Beautiful piece Bob. Nice form and finish.

Toney Robertson
11-26-2011, 5:37 PM
Very nice job.

Isn't that stuff hard? You don't make curlies (if that is a word), just dust or that is what happens to me.

David DeCristoforo
11-26-2011, 5:38 PM
Beautiful. The burl is awesome and your NE bowl really shows it off nicely. I'm gonna have to try some of that stuff one of these days...

Tim Rinehart
11-26-2011, 8:07 PM
Really nicely done Bob. I haven't got to my aussie burls from symposium yet. I like what you did with this and the finish and variety of colors is great. Super job! I hope my RM is as forgiving!

Peter Hay in Aus
11-26-2011, 9:16 PM
Outstanding, proof positive Red Mallee is highly variable when turning, as the timber I am an Aussie there is no mystery in turning but like everything choosing the specimen before you turn. Red Mallee is getting more scarce.

Your bowl is beatifully turned have never seen better on this forum as far as skill goes.

Be proud, extremely well made your wife has good taste.

Kind regards Peter.

Bob Rotche
11-27-2011, 6:58 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. I imaging there must be some variability in red mallee but this is the only one I've ever turned. I didn't get curlies but I didn't get dust either. More like little shavings. To me, it was certainly easier than say, dried locust. I'm definitely looking forward to trying some more though it can be a bit intimidating when you see what they cost! This was about the cheapest I could find on his table and it was $32. Large pieces were upwards of $200!

Toney Robertson
11-27-2011, 8:06 AM
$32!!! That is a good price for such a nice piece of RM. I noticed it is not too big but I just bought 16 pcs and the cheapest was almost $50! Where did you get yours?

RM can vary greatly in hardness. Out of those 16 pc., I had a couple that did get some small shavings, most had course dust and a couple were so hard that it was fine, even finer than saw dust. There was one piece that seemed to be case hardened, I could only cut mere seconds before it was back to the grinder. That lasted until I got into the interior and it went back to being normal. After roughing out all the pieces, even with a air cleaner running on high and the dust collector on there was dust ALL over the shop. Thank goodness for a trend pro, never smelled a thing.