PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever heard a dumber question?

Dale Thompson
04-22-2003, 9:43 PM
OK Folks. I give up. What's the difference between a router bit and a shaper bit? :confused:

I've got both a router and a shaper and the only difference that I can see is that the shaper bits have three flutes and the router bits have two.

Obviously, the router bits have their own shank but some of them have "wings" as big as the shaper cutters (raised panel bits, for example) and must be run at a slower speed on the router.
Conversely, my shaper has collets for router bits and they seem to work just fine on the RARE occasions that I use the shaper.

I can understand the three-flute vs. two-flute thing because the shaper runs a lot slower. On the other hand, that would only seem to compensate for feed rate.

DUH! I know that this may be a mute question (what other kind am I capable of asking?) and common sense should be your guide. But I would be interested in knowing if there is any real "technical" difference.

I know! The obvious answer is, "How can a moron like you ask a "technical" question?" I've already thought of that one. Does anyone have a different take?

Dale T. :D

Garrett Lambert
04-22-2003, 10:59 PM
Yes, some router bits such as for panel raising are quite large, and some shaper bits are quite small. Since they both put profiles on wood, there are more similarities than differences.

However, the singular difference is that shapers can use very much larger bits than routers, and do so much more safely. As well, shaper bits can be ordered to any custom-ground profile from a large number of suppliers. Lots of shaper bits are still made from HSS rather than carbide. And (most) shaper shafts can be tilted to give different profiles with the same cutters.

Back in the "not-so-good-old-days" in our family factory, we had a shaper that used a pair of flat knives held in the grooves of the collars by nothing more than the pressure of the shaft nut. Mind you, in my several years there, I recall only a couple of incidents when they let fly, but one was enough.

Cheers, Garrett

Dale Thompson
04-24-2003, 9:19 PM
Garrett,
Thank you!! It's just a small detail which has been "bugging" me for quite a while. On the other hand, I'm smarter than I was yesterday -- which doesn't take much.:D