PDA

View Full Version : What to ask for?

Pete Copeland
11-26-2011, 9:28 AM
So my mom wants to know what I want for Christmas.

A few months ago I ordered two tools from Thompson Lathe Tools: a 1/2 inch V-shaped bowl gouge and a 1/2 inch spindle gouge. I got handles with both and the folks at TLT made a mistake and engraved my name on three handles. They were very nice to send me all three.

So, I've got a handle (16") needing a tool. I'm new to turning having started just in July. I've a Powermatic 3520A and I'm interested in mostly large-ish stuff. I got the lathe used and it came with a bunch of medium-quality tools that were used almost exclusively on spindle work (I bought this stuff from a cabinet shop). I also have an EWT rougher and finisher. What should I tell my mom I'd like from Thompson? A U-shaped bowl gouge? a scrapper? a skew? (I've got a skew from the purchase but haven't figured what to do with it).

Thanks for the help.

-Pete

Some of my work :http://www.flickr.com/photos/pete4039/sets/72157627752112916/detail/

Scott Hackler
11-26-2011, 9:36 AM
I think I can sum this response up with one word..... YES (any of the above)! :)

If you don't have a large roughing gouge, that is a must. Doug sells a nice 5/8" bowl gouge or a GIANT 1 3/4" (I think) regular spindle gouge. The latter is a monster of a tool.

David E Keller
11-26-2011, 9:38 AM
If you like bigger stuff, I'd look at a bigger gouge. The 5/8 V is one that I use a lot, but I also use a 3/8 Clewes bowl gouge as well. The smaller one is probably a better fit for the 16" handle. A big, heavy scraper would be great, but I'd probably want it in a larger handle.

Greg Just
11-26-2011, 9:45 AM
Do you have a grinder to sharpen all those great tools?

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 9:57 AM
I have the 1/2 V & U bowl gouges. I just got a 3/8" V and love it. That would be on my list.