PDA

View Full Version : Possibly looking at buying a scroll saw

Michael Moscicki
11-26-2011, 1:04 AM
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/tls/2713499195.html
(http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/tls/2713499195.html)Dewalt Scroll Saw-needs work - $50
Dewalt 20" Scroll Saw with stand. Original price $450.
Currently non-functioning but a Dewalt authorized mechanic will fix for minimal cost (the most they could charge is $200 but the issue is likely very simple).

http://images.craigslist.org/5V45Q45X63kd3m93lfbbl8e4465d89fa21cf8.jpg

I'll have to get it fixed but the closest authorized DeWalt mechanic is only 3.5 miles away or 12 mins so it's not a problem. The seller doesn't mention whether it's the Canadian model or Taiwanese model. Is it worth it or should I try and looking for a working model?

If I were to get the scroll saw it would be in place of some coping saws to make pinewood derby cars with. So is it worth it or should I just stick with a couple of Stanley coping saws for $5 a piece?

(http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/tls/2713499195.html)

John Fabre
11-26-2011, 1:08 AM
If it's a type 1 (found on the motor), yes, type 2, you can sell the stand for that. It might be a fuse that's blown.

Michael Moscicki
11-26-2011, 1:15 AM
If it's a type 1 (found on the motor), yes, type 2, you can sell the stand for that. It might be a fuse that's blown.

Emailed the seller asking which type it is. I know the type 1 Canadian version is better, but does that mean I should avoid it if it's a type 2 Taiwanese version?

John Fabre
11-26-2011, 4:27 AM
Some things to check on the type 2 that some had problems with. Check the table for flatness and the distance between the upper and lower blade clamps. Place a level or other straight edge on the table to see if there are any cups. Make sure a normal 5" blade fits between the clamps. Most blades are a little more than 5". 5 1/8" to 5 5/32". Something else to wary of is blade travel. That is the amount of forward to backward movement of the blade on the stroke of the blade. Use a straight edge, (a credit card will work). Put it behind the blade and pull the arm up and down to check. PM'd you a link.

Rich Engelhardt
11-26-2011, 9:05 AM
If I were to get the scroll saw it would be in place of some coping saws to make pinewood derby cars with. So is it worth it or should I just stick with a couple of Stanley coping saws for $5 a piece?

Do you trust the kids enough to use a scroll saw?

Mike Henderson
11-26-2011, 9:30 AM
If you're handy, you may be able to repair it yourself. Make sure the motor is good.

The DeWalt is a good scroll saw.

If you decide against it, I see the DeWalt come available on Craigslist on a pretty regular basis, and often for a very decent price.

Mike

Michael Moscicki
11-26-2011, 9:31 AM
Do you trust the kids enough to use a scroll saw?

They mark the block of wood and tell me where to cut. As with any power tool, I do the work.

Heck I'd have to get some practice in before I go ahead and work on the cars.

Myk Rian
11-26-2011, 11:37 AM
For $50, buy it. Deal with any problems when you get it.
What's to lose?

glenn bradley
11-26-2011, 12:20 PM
I have a Type 2 and the table flatness was an issue. DeWalt replaced it under warranty without even blinking (they are obviously aware of the issue). Replacement table was fine, all Flying Dutchman and Olsen blades I have purchased have fit with room to spare. Forward and backward deviation on the blade travel is .02" and I don't know how this equates to the Type 1 but, a fat 1/64" should not be a problem for a pinewood derby car. Blade to table perpendicular alignment is adjustable within a more than adequate range. It has done fine for the piercings I do in 1" stock as part of my furnishings and has also done fine for smaller fun stuff.

Dave Lehnert
11-26-2011, 1:25 PM
I don't remember the exact problem but saw dust gets into the switch/ speed control. Try blowing it out first.

Michael Moscicki
11-26-2011, 9:07 PM
Don't know how much it would cost to repair it but the Guaranteed Repair Cost is $259.99 which includes:
Complete teardown inspection
Thorough cleaning & lubrication
Replacement of worn & damaged parts
Full performance & safety test

So worst case scenario, I spend an extra $260 to fix it.

John Fabre
11-26-2011, 9:54 PM
That's still a good deal, go for it.