PDA

View Full Version : End grain cutting board

Christopher Pine
11-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Helo: Question: I have been working on a larger end grain sitting board. Well long story short a couple of my seams not come together real tight. So there is a small gap. Suggestions to fill these gaps? I have always just used mineral oil for the finish on my boards in the past... I have heard others use a paraffin wax mixed in with the oil? Would this hep fill these small voids?

Thanks in advance

Chris213892

Mike Null
11-26-2011, 7:27 AM
My method would be to wet the board with shellac and sand to fill the cracks. When dry, sand again then use the mineral oil.

Shellac is safe.

David Keller NC
11-26-2011, 8:49 AM
For the purpose you intend for this piece, sawdust mixed with (waterproof) glue is the best option. While I like shellac, and use it on virtually all of my pieces, including hard-wear table tops, shellac has one downside that's specifically a disadvantage in a cutting board - it will not stand up to a combination of heat and moisture (it will stand up to moisture, contrary to common misperception). Titebond III works well in this application, though if you want to be conservative, epoxy has the ultimate water resistance.

Pat Barry
11-27-2011, 9:19 PM
I would suggest ripping along the glue lines and relaminating. It would be the best solution because the glue lines would be very unobtrusive. With the filling method the glue lines will be more prominent and the repair will stand out more.

Tom Sontag
11-30-2011, 6:08 PM
I agree with Pat. Cut and reglue.

Raymond Fries
11-30-2011, 8:41 PM
+3 on cut and re-glue.