PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Cookie Jar

Baxter Smith
11-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Picked up these two things at a yard sale last summer for my brotherinlaw. Thought they would make a good Christmas present for a Harley fan.

I think the unopened puzzle was a dollar and the 40 postcards may have been 50 cents since they had been opened and looked at. I will leave the $17.00 sticker on the puzzle lest he thinks I’m cheap. Anyone that can ride an Ultraglide around the country doesn’t need expensive gifts anyway.;)

Just in case he gets hungry while reading or puzzling I will throw this in too.

Fished it out of his firewood pile two summers ago and roughed it out.

It’s a still a little too early to fill with Molasses Crinkles…maybe if I’m feeling ambitious in
December.
8" x 5.75" to the top of the knob. Finished with satin polycrylic then buffed.

Comments are always welcome!

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Great looking cookie jar Baxter. I really like the wood. Nice form.

Joe Watson
11-25-2011, 11:02 PM
... I will leave the $17.00 sticker on the puzzle lest he thinks I’m cheap...
:D Thats great !
Cool jar came out nice, im sure he will like every thing.

Dan Forman
11-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Gorgeous cookie jar!

Dan

Jim Burr
11-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Can M&M's fit in there? I'll buy it!!

Kathy Marshall
11-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Very nice cookie jar! The spalt pattern on the wood is great as is the form. I might just have to give a cookie jar a try.

Ken Hill
11-26-2011, 5:50 AM
He should really like that Baxter!

Richard Jones
11-26-2011, 6:45 AM
Pretty work, Baxter. Great use of gorgeous wood.

R

Michelle Rich
11-26-2011, 6:59 AM
now that is one fine cookie jar. gorgeous wood, and great big bold shape to hold lots of cookies! Very pretty Baxter.

John Keeton
11-26-2011, 7:20 AM
Beautiful work, Baxter!! The wood is fantastic. Our club is going to do the "Beads of Courage" lidded bowls/boxes for a local children's hospital, and this is nearly perfect for that. I may copy you design if you don't care - but, the challenge will be finding wood that nice!

dan carter
11-26-2011, 8:23 AM
Nice work, attractive wood. Your bifocals did you well.

David Gilbert
11-26-2011, 8:41 AM
Baxter, your bowl's shape is one of my favorites and the spalting patterns are wonderful. I'm interested in knowing if you finished the inside of your bowl with the polycrylic. If you did, how does it smell. A lot of the finishes develop off "smells" in enclosed spaces like this.

Cheers,
David

Rich Aldrich
11-26-2011, 8:49 AM
Nice work. Good idea - I hadnt thougth of making a cookie jar. Another idea to add to the list.

Roger Chandler
11-26-2011, 9:56 AM
Super nice cookie Jar, Baxter..........great spalting lines on it ...............I like the transition to the lid........the clean line invites you to take off the lid and find out what is inside..........and of course the knob is spot on as well!

Scott Hackler
11-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Thats a great looking cookie pot. I am sure it will be well received.

Curt Fuller
11-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Very nice cookie jar Baxter. Maybe he can dump all the puzzle pieces in it.

charlie knighton
11-26-2011, 11:06 AM
great cookie jar, i am sure it will be treasured years to come

Baxter Smith
11-26-2011, 4:06 PM
Thanks for taking a look and your positive thoughts about some pretty wood!

Beautiful work, Baxter!! The wood is fantastic. Our club is going to do the "Beads of Courage" lidded bowls/boxes for a local children's hospital, and this is nearly perfect for that. I may copy you design if you don't care - but, the challenge will be finding wood that nice!
Copy away John. That is a wonderful cause! I am sure you will come up with some great looking wood.

Nice work, attractive wood. Your bifocals did you well.
Thanks Dan. Never saw that coming!;) I should have said "trifocals" yesterday.:)

Baxter, your bowl's shape is one of my favorites and the spalting patterns are wonderful. I'm interested in knowing if you finished the inside of your bowl with the polycrylic. If you did, how does it smell. A lot of the finishes develop off "smells" in enclosed spaces like this.

Cheers,
David
David, I am going to leave the lid off to let the smell dissapate and the finish cure for another month. That being said, a niece was looking at it last night and the lid got left on. When I went out to the shop this morning and took a whiff inside it wasn't particularly appetizing. Its only been a couple of days so hopefully that will improve!

Very nice cookie jar Baxter. Maybe he can dump all the puzzle pieces in it.
Curt, he may have to if it still smells bad! But without the box cover to look at, it would take me forever to do.:)

Bill Bolen
11-26-2011, 6:02 PM
Love the cookie jar Baxter! Gonna turn some Walnut or Cherry "cookies" to put inside?

jake Niedling
11-26-2011, 6:46 PM
Well done. Nice shape and lid.