PDA

View Full Version : Tipuana Tipu aka Yellow Jacaranda / Pride of Bolivia / Rosewood anyone ever turn it?

Jesse Goodwin
11-25-2011, 8:58 PM
Tree service just cut one at my neighbors and I got several nice logs from it. I want to know if anyone has turned this wood and had allergic reactions. I have had bad experiences in the past with other exotics and I can't find any info on toxicity on the web. Anyone know of a good source for wood toxicity info. I stumbled upon a great website awhile back, but I can't find it now. This tree profusely bled a dark red sap from the cambium immediately after being cut. It is nice wood, but not pretty enough to be poisoned for. After years of building stairs with mostly red oak I got where I couldn't go into my shop without sneezing my head off if the guys were using red oak. I have seen several post today that have me concerned about new woods. Thanks in advance.

When I die, just bury me in my shavings.

John Beaver
11-25-2011, 11:03 PM
I have turned it, and did not have any reactions. I do get a slight runny nose with some rosewoods, esp. Cocobolo, but the Tipu did not bother me. I did find it to be the hardest wood I have ever turned - can you say concrete? Polishes up nice, but some of the red color does fade to brown. Did I mention it's hard?

Let me know how it works for you.

Jim Burr
11-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Cocobolo is just dangerous all around...skin and respiratory issues aren't worth it if you don't take precautions...and all precautions needed...don't get me started!!

robert baccus
11-26-2011, 1:49 AM
If you are really suspicious(justifyably), go buy a cheap plastic(waterproof) wind breaker and some nytril gloves until you have some experience with it. naturally with masks ect. also.---------old forester

Jesse Goodwin
11-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Well, I followed the suggestions and suited up for battle and roughed out a 13" bowl blank. Now, I have a head ache, I don't know if it is from the wood, the heat from all the garb or the brutal hardness of the Tipuana Tipu. I have never turned any thing that required sharper tools to get a smooth cut. John Beaver, I think you understated the hardness, it makes hickory seem like spruce. ;D

When I die, just bury in my shavings.