PDA

View Full Version : First Pictures I've posted here...

Scott Hussey
11-25-2011, 6:51 PM
Hey all,

I've been a lurker and somewhat infrequent contributor here for about a year. I've been growing my skills and turning when I can and I finally made a real cheap photo tent so I could take some pics of my turnings and post them.

Clearly I have a lot to learn with my turnings AND photography, but I figured these pics are good enough to post with the hope that someone can give me some pointers both on my turning and my photography.

The first series of pics is of an aspen vase HF that was kind of fun to turn. I left the natural edge on one side...not sure why, but it seemed like a fun thing to do. The vase is 9" tall and 4" give or take in diameter. I like turning aspen as it is plentiful here in Colorado and it sands really easy :)

The next series are a couple of shots of a cedar bowl. This one is 13" in diameter and 5 inches tall.

Comments and critiques welcome.213848213849213850213851213852

Jim Burr
11-25-2011, 7:17 PM
I'm still working on a bowl that good...vase is really cool! Nice wood all around! Maybe a little curve on the bottom of the vase, but you're looking good so far!

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2011, 8:30 PM
Those are nice Scott. I do like that vase.

Nate Davey
11-25-2011, 8:51 PM
Some nice work Scott. I like the thickness and shape of your bowl.

Baxter Smith
11-25-2011, 9:18 PM
Welcome to posting your turnings Scott! It can really help improve your work....at least for me. The vase looks good. One suggestion depending on your preferences, is to make a small radius where the sides of the vase meet the table. That will help minimize the growing straight out of the table look. The bowl is nice too. Curves are generally more pleasing than straight lines. Pictures can be decieveing but try taking a ruler and place it on the outside of the bowl. Rock it from rim to base. If it only touches one spot at a time, you have done a good job on maintaining a curve. You can do the same thing while the bowl is still on the lathe to see how things are going. Looking forward to your next photo's!

David E Keller
11-25-2011, 9:20 PM
Nicely done, Scott! As Jim said, a little tuck on the bottom of the vase appeals to a number of us(but not all of us). Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Josh Bowman
11-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Very nice stuff! Really like the HF. Hope you post more.

Jamie Donaldson
11-25-2011, 10:29 PM
I'll address your photos Scott, and first of all, you're cropping the frames too tightly to allow the turnings some breathing room. The flash is a quick way to record an image, but flattens the perception of depth and 3D. Setting up a photo area is not always possible, but using more natural lighting would enhance the presentation of your work. Like turning, learning to make good quality images of your work requires effort, but pays good dividends by well representing your work to an audience. Practice, and we will be able to help you tune your progress.

Joe Watson
11-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Nice job on both. The bug tunnels on the vase add alot of character - good choice in my opinion to leave them.

_

Dan Forman
11-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Nice work on both, like the hieroglyphs in the vase.

Dan

Kathy Marshall
11-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Nice job Scott, I'll just agree with what's already been said. Posting your work goes a long way in progressing as a turner, I know it did for me, along with plenty of wood to practice one!

Scott Hussey
11-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions on both the turnings and the photography from everyone. I appreciate all the feedback as it does help to get new and different perspectives from such a great bunch here.Scott