PDA

View Full Version : "Green" Goblet part 1...

Primvs Aebvtivs
11-25-2011, 6:49 PM
Hopefully this will be pictures of a goblet I finished tonight...

Sorry about the quality of the photos, and the turning! Had fun, a couple of "Near misses" - the tool and the chuck jaws came too close - must remember to leave extra length on the log, or make shorter things!

Comments etc welcome, nay, INSISTED upon! Thanks folks. Now, got to make some pen bushes, now that the FPP kits have arrived.

David E Keller
11-25-2011, 9:09 PM
That's pretty neat, Primvs. It seems like the cup portion of the goblet should be deeper/larger... In the photos, it appears this piece could be positioned with either end up. A little curve in the stem might be a nice addition as well. Looking forward to seeing the pens!

BTW, how does one pronounce your first name? I can't make it sound right in my head!

Baxter Smith
11-25-2011, 9:37 PM
"Fun" is where its at! Pretty neat. I agree with David on possibly lengthening the goblet portion to make it appear different than the base.

David DeCristoforo
11-25-2011, 9:41 PM
I think it's cool. I'd just lay it on it's side...

Primvs Aebvtivs
11-26-2011, 12:58 PM
For David E Keller - it's pronounced Pree-muss, but everyone calls me 'Bvt (boot), it's an old Roman tradition where you call others by their surname, which got shortened - that's Eye-boot-ee-us by the way! By a swelling, do you mean a larger diameter in the stem? Had thought about doing something in there, but wasn't sure what - it was free wet wood, and I've still got plenty! My daughter in law has asked for two...

For Baxter Smith - I did think about making it longer to make a difference, but that was the straightest length of wood in the trunk - may try something not so straight and cut out the waste next time - was really having fun, and playing. Followed instructions in a book by Mike O'Donnell, and was a bit nervous about how long it should be (not done anything this fragile and long before!).

For David Decristoforo - I thought about that too! There isn't any finish on it yet, waiting to see if it moves, as the wife and I both like the deformed look on some of the items we have seen in magazines...

David DeCristoforo
11-26-2011, 1:20 PM
"...it's pronounced Pree-muss..."

OK. Now do the last name...

David E Keller
11-26-2011, 3:40 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Pree-muss! On the stem, I think a very subtle curve(concavity) from top to bottom will make the stem a bit more graceful... Just something to consider.

Primvs Aebvtivs
11-26-2011, 5:25 PM
David Decristoforo - I did it already! Eye-boot-ee-uss. A bit of a mouthful I know, as someone said to me years ago, "It's like the 20 ton polar bear - a bit of an ice breaker"...

D E K - Yes, I see what you mean, will try that out on another one.

My mate Jon came round tonight, but declined having a go at one... More my sort of thing, as he does exceedingly small things, and better pots with lids than me! Each to their own.

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2011, 5:28 PM
Really nice goblet. Fun is what it is all about.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-07-2012, 7:39 AM
I finally got round to putting this on Folksy.com last night, for a modest £8.00 and when I checked this morning, it has been bought! WOW, must get round to photographing more stuff, and trying to sell it...