PDA

View Full Version : Don't do this!! warning graphic image

Don Nurmela
11-25-2011, 6:30 PM
I was parting off a large bowl, when the tool jumped up just enough for my left hand to get between the tool and the rest. crushed the tip of my pinky pretty good. The picture was taken in ER, Dr put 14 stitches in it. I usually wear a glove on my left hand, but didn't this time. Probably pushing a little hard when it happened. Good reminder to think twice act once.

At least i didn't get any blood on the bowl.

Mike Cruz
11-25-2011, 7:00 PM
Don, with all the color everyone's been adding to their works, a little blood may have been considered "artistic"...

I have to say, though...OUCH. I bet that smarted. So, were your first words something like..."Son of a ....." or "Stupid, stupid, stupid"? One of those usually comes out of mine when I oops. Acutally, they both do, then some choice words...

Hope you heal quickly...and get back to that turning. :o

Peter Blair
11-25-2011, 7:02 PM
OOOh! Looks nasty. I always worry that a glove might get caught and pulled around the turning or chuck cause a much worse injury. I remember my trip to emerg after a router mishap and the Dr. patiently telling me that he hadn't yet had anyone die on him yet for a few (I had 8) stitches in a finger. Hope it doesn't keep you away from the lathe for too long.

Steve Vaughan
11-25-2011, 7:03 PM
OUCH! Glad it stayed attached. Did a similar thing when my parting tool grabbed, no stitched, but it sure cut my index finger pretty bad at the joint. Glad yours wasn't worse!

Bryan Rocker
11-25-2011, 7:10 PM
We have all had close calls, I have been lucky and I haven't been forced to go to the ER, well not in a very long time.....

As to the gloves, I have a standing rule in my shop, if it turns, no gloves, (drill presses, table saws, lathes etc). Its better to lose a chunk of skin than for the glove to grab your finger/hand/arm and whatever else is attached to the glove.

Bryan

Mike Cruz
11-25-2011, 7:18 PM
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEP***************Just in case anyone is reading Don's OP incorrectly, he WASN'T wearing a glove at the time, but usually does. This was NOT because he was wearing a glove. Seems, to me at least, that some may be misreading his post...that he was wearing a glove.***************BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Roland Martin
11-25-2011, 8:27 PM
Dang! Hope you heal quickly.

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2011, 8:28 PM
Ouch. I have had that happen but not that bad.

Baxter Smith
11-25-2011, 9:23 PM
Ouch is right! I have managed to avoid stitches so far though I have lost the same fingernail on my left hand... twice. Got my gouge caught doing the exact same thing. I hope you are a faster learner!

Peter Blair
11-25-2011, 9:51 PM
Hey Mike and all.

Nope I think we all read the thread correctly but wanted to warn everyone that if he had been wearing a glove the damage just could have been worse.

I fully agree, "if it turns" don't wear a glove. This is a rule in my shop. Sometimes a glove with the fingers removed can protect the hands but fingers can get caught and the resulting injury could be . . . . well I don't even want to think about it!

Josh Bowman
11-25-2011, 10:01 PM
OUCH! Been there done that......just didn't draw blood. Hope you get feeling better.

Harry Robinette
11-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Ouch is right, I cut the end of my finger almost off on the band saw about 8 or 9 mths ago.
I do wear a fingerless pair of gloves when I turn allot of the time I know I have to watch even with the fingerless.

Dan Forman
11-25-2011, 11:53 PM
I had a trip tot he ER about 7 months ago, touched the cutterhead of my jointer with three fingers - no fun at all. At least there was something to stitch in your case. Hope it heals quickly.

Dan

Mike Cruz
11-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Sorry to hear about that Dan... Um, looks like you came out with more than a difference in digits (by your avatar...:D) Unless, that is, Dan is short for Daniel...;) :rolleyes: If so, pardon my ignorance and attempt at humor. :o

Don Nurmela
11-26-2011, 12:12 AM
I was not wearing gloves. I usually only wear the gloves when i am roughing with the EWT rougher. I have the chip deflector for it, but can't see very well with it. I understand the dangers of wearing them and keep them tightened up with the velcro strap across the back when I do where them. I hope to finish the bowl tomorrow, the throbbing should stop by then.
Thanks for the well wishes.

Rick Markham
11-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Dang Don! Ouch!! <---major understatement! Yowza, I hope you heal quickly! Probably a blessing you weren't wearing your glove!