PDA

View Full Version : Making vinyl vacuum bags; adhesive options?

Peter Quinn
11-25-2011, 5:47 PM
My lovely wife heard me talking about making a smaller vacuum bag for flat work, and surprised me with several yards of 20 mil vinyl from the fabric store. Nice treat. My only bag is a 30 mil polyurethane bag 5X10' and it can be a wrestling match for smaller things. I have a valve stem from veneer supplies. I see they sell a vinyl solvent. Are there other options available locally for making seams in vinyl or is hh-66 pretty much the stuff to get?

John TenEyck
11-25-2011, 7:42 PM
I glued my 20 mil PVC bag up with PVC pipe cement. I'm still using it 6 or so years later with no seam failures. I found that it worked best if I did NOT use the cleaner first; just daub on the cement about an inch wide on one side, put the other side on top and clamp up until cured.

Jamie Buxton
11-25-2011, 7:45 PM
Vinyl cement works just fine. I get it in a toothpaste tube at the plastics place that sells me the sheet vinyl, but I've seen it at Home Depot and places like that.

Bruce Wrenn
11-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Swimming pool companies stock several types of vinyl cement, along with cleaner.

Carroll Courtney
11-26-2011, 7:00 AM
I have always wonder if a good grade of double stick tape would work(harder you press,better it seals).Guessing that since its under a vaccum,that along would help with sealing it.Just a thought---Carroll

Curt Harms
11-26-2011, 7:19 AM
I'm pretty sure Roo Glue clear will adhere vinyl and it's easy to work with. The trick is to find Roo Glue. I mail order it from western tool.

Frank Drew
11-26-2011, 9:43 AM
Vinyl cement works just fine. I get it in a toothpaste tube at the plastics place that sells me the sheet vinyl.

Me, too; easy to use, does the job.