PDA

View Full Version : Well I did it,I got a small drum sander, the Jet 10-20...

Bill Huber
11-25-2011, 4:33 PM
I am starting to do a little more panel work, small ones not big kitchen cabinet type but 12 x 12 or around that.

I have got to the point that my glue ups are doing very well but when it comes to the sanding it is a real pain. I have use my belt sander but that is really hard to control on a small panel. With the ROS it does ok but it takes forever to get them done and then if there is any ridge at all on the panel it is hard to get it out and still keep the panel flat.

So after reading about drum sanders, I thought it was about time to get one.

I have only done 3, 12x12 panels and is that drum sander sweet, it makes it so much easier and the panels are flat and look really great.

The Jet 10-20 was very easy to set up, check the drum to table spacing, which was spot on, attache the crank to raise and lower the drum, set the table belt tracking and you are ready to go. I did change the 80 grit belt that comes on it to a 120 which I think does a much better job, I may even go to a 150 or 220 and that would even give me less ROS sanding.

Now all I have to do is find a place to keep it in my little shop.

Paul McGaha
11-25-2011, 4:41 PM
Congratulations Bill. I'm sure it will make a good addition to your shop. I think you can look forward to less time with your hand held sanders.

PHM

Bill Huber
11-25-2011, 5:18 PM
Congratulations Bill. I'm sure it will make a good addition to your shop. I think you can look forward to less time with your hand held sanders.

PHM
I sure hope so, so far it looks good.
I am making a 3 raised panel blanket chest and I have all the rails and stiles sanded already, in no time at all, I love it.

Stephen Cherry
11-25-2011, 5:22 PM
Woo hoo, looks great.:D
Did you get one of those big erasers to clean the drum?

Phil Thien
11-25-2011, 5:26 PM
I would have to say that my drum sander was the shop purchase over which I had the most trepidation, and which has proven to be one of the wisest purchased I have made. When I'm working with figured wood, or when I'm sneaking up on a critical thickness, well, it just can't be beat!

Mark Ashmeade
11-25-2011, 6:26 PM
I would have to say that my drum sander was the shop purchase over which I had the most trepidation, and which has proven to be one of the wisest purchased I have made. When I'm working with figured wood, or when I'm sneaking up on a critical thickness, well, it just can't be beat!+1 on that! I usually buy on sale or used, but drum sanders rarely fit that category. So I took the plunge and bought a new one, with the associated trepidation. It's been great so far. I've been turning out end grain cutting boards with alacrity!Congrats Bill, I hope you enjoy.

Bill Huber
11-26-2011, 9:55 AM
Woo hoo, looks great.:D
Did you get one of those big erasers to clean the drum?

I have had the crepe sticks for a long time and would not go without them. I use then on all my sand paper and belts, I can not believe how great they are.

David Nelson1
11-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Just remember to keep the paper tight. That is the only complaint I have with that machine besides the learning curve of getting access to the spring loaded clips. Don't misplace the hook tool PITA without it.

Bill Huber
11-26-2011, 2:25 PM
Just remember to keep the paper tight. That is the only complaint I have with that machine besides the learning curve of getting access to the spring loaded clips. Don't misplace the hook tool PITA without it.

I still have not figured out how to use the tool, the manual shows how but I still don't get it.

Bob Kassmeyer
11-26-2011, 5:36 PM
I actually figured out the hook tool this weekend. I found I didn't need it on the left side but it works great on the right. I did notice that the drum and the platen are no longer parallel. I have not tried to figure that out yet. It has always worked good until this happened.

John Aperahama
11-26-2011, 7:26 PM
There is a hole in the spring lever takes a bit but you can feel it. As you lift the tool the tool is at 10 o clock twist the handle the back to about 9 or 8 and the handle will sit/clip on the edge of the drum let go of it and feed the end of the paper through the slot then twist the tool back to 10 and lower it . You only ever need the tool on the right side of the drum. You are only using your left hand. I have used the index finger of my right to feel the hole in the clip for the tool.

Bill Huber
11-26-2011, 7:48 PM
There is a hole in the spring lever takes a bit but you can feel it. As you lift the tool the tool is at 10 o clock twist the handle the back to about 9 or 8 and the handle will sit/clip on the edge of the drum let go of it and feed the end of the paper through the slot then twist the tool back to 10 and lower it . You only ever need the tool on the right side of the drum. You are only using your left hand. I have used the index finger of my right to feel the hole in the clip for the tool.

I am going to go out and try it, I have not really had much of a problem putting the paper in so I am not sure if the tool will help. My right hand is a little different than most, I lost a index finger so my hand is smaller and that I am sure helps.

Bill Huber
11-26-2011, 7:51 PM
I actually figured out the hook tool this weekend. I found I didn't need it on the left side but it works great on the right. I did notice that the drum and the platen are no longer parallel. I have not tried to figure that out yet. It has always worked good until this happened.

Mine was spot on but I had to play with it and found that it is a very easy adjustment. Loosen the 2 screws on top and turn the small knob on the back until it is parallel and then tighten the screws.

Bob Kassmeyer
11-27-2011, 6:25 PM
Thank you Bill I'll give that a try this next week.