PDA

View Full Version : Vise id please

Brian Myers
11-25-2011, 3:45 PM
I have seen two others in person like this one and both were mounted on benches in antique shops. Would like any info anyone may have , searching came up empty. It is cool , quick release
open /close with ratcheting for the final tightening. It is dirty but has no cracks or repairs and works just as it should. Other than a few casting numbers on the different parts there is no name on it.
Measure 7" wide and opens 8" without the wood pads/inserts. The dog is there as well.

Trevor Walsh
11-25-2011, 7:03 PM
I have this exact vise, it is also unmarked as to maker, I think the first ones were the Sheldon quick release vises, at least that is what the Schwarz refers to them as. I sandblasted and enameled mine. It's destined to be a tail vise on the bench I'm almost finished building.

David Keller NC
11-27-2011, 8:51 AM
Here is a link to the Sheldon patent. Looks like the difference is that the Sheldon had a horizontally mounted actuator (which is weird - I can't imagine why the inventor thought it was OK to have a handle sticking straight out of a bench):

http://www.google.com/patents?id=JFZZAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PA2#v=onepage&q&f=false

Trevor Walsh
11-27-2011, 10:00 PM
The (left) drawing, which shows with lever and eccentric that tightens the vise chop is a top view. "Tight" is with the lever rotated counter-clockwise, on a right handed mount tail vise or the left side for a face vise the handle wouldn't be in the way when tightened.