PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Hickory #2

Ken Hill
11-25-2011, 3:26 PM
1st, not sure I like the stark contrast between the woods, but its all I had readily available to make a lid....chalk it up to practice and expierence. AO, buff but no wax, waiting on some Ren wax. 6 x 4.5 withe the finial thing-a-mabob

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/i-BmQQQrW/0/M/LLL1255-M.jpg

John Keeton
11-25-2011, 4:10 PM
Ken, I think it works. Having three different wood tones is a little complicated, but for sure, I need to get some of that hickory - it is really nice stuff! Did you turn this wet and re-turn, or was the wood dry?

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2011, 4:18 PM
Nice piece Ken. I do like the contrast of the wood. Hickory is a nice turning wood.

Roger Chandler
11-25-2011, 4:24 PM
Ken,

It looks like you go away for months...........then return to the lathe with a pent up energy that must be released in short order...........you are crankin' 'em out pretty fast now! Nice hickory vessel...........I think I would rather have seen a hickory lid on it or a plain maple maybe for the contrast to be good.

Ken Hill
11-25-2011, 6:21 PM
Well no changing it, its sold LOL!

This was turned last winter and back on the lathe today. I have a few more to do so I will try and get ahold of something for the tops that, to me, isnt such a drastic color change.

John, I will be back to cutting blanks as soon as deer season ends. I will get a couple set aside and send down to you.

Roger, I cant really be in the woods making a racket due to hunting so inbetween sitting in the stand and dark im trying to keep myself busy haha

Baxter Smith
11-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Pretty wood Ken! I pulled out a couple of your hickory NE pieces to look at this evening. I am kind of focused on other things at the moment, but your hickory pieces make them look tempting! All I would need to do is some sanding.:p

Michelle Rich
11-26-2011, 7:21 AM
I have always liked hickory..the lower vessel has lovely markings.