PDA

View Full Version : Mantle “Capper” Project Started

Jim Becker
03-06-2005, 8:08 PM
Back when the Design Forum started up, I posted a thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14696) about replacing the barn wood mantle "capper" in our great room with one made of cherry...certain details in that room will evolve to cherry over time. Well, I got started on that project today finally...I was going to do something "spinny", but my mood was more "flat" for some reason...:rolleyes:...worse, it was somewhat Neander-ish, too...:o

At any rate, I managed to find two pieces of cherry in my stash that were actually long enough to work with on this project and got them milled up as the first step. From there, the hand tools came out to play since the design calls for through dovetails at the corners of both the lower apron and the cap frame. (It really wasn't practical to cut a hole in the floor of the upstairs area to be able to use the D4 on the end of those nearly 105" long boards.. ;) )

So, taking what I learned from doing the top of the armoire project casework with hand-cut dovetails, I got to work on these, managing to complete the apron before stopping for the day. The first one needed a little shaving to slip together and to get the fit right. The second nearly required obtaining clean underwear as it slipped together on the first shot...sheesh! A little bit of sliver work will fill some slight gaps next weekend and I can start on the cap frame in the same manner.

And to satisfy the Picture Police, I submit the following evidence of today's activities. Note the length of the board in the last picture showing the glue-up.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-06-2005, 8:23 PM
Hey Jim, isn't this post in the wrong forum? :) Seriously, how hard was it to cut vertically? I have avoided dovetails in projects with long stock for that very reason. Yours look good BTW.

Jim Becker
03-06-2005, 8:28 PM
Yea, Dennis, I probably could have posted in the Neander forum, but only the dovetails will be done by hand. I still used my Festool jigsaw to knock out the waste... ;) ...and the table saw and Mini Max J/P to prepare the stock.

In a good sense, both this project and the armoire forced me to do the dovetails by hand due to the long pieces. I don't know that I would do them all the time this way...I like my D4...but being able to is a good skill to learn. Doing the ends of the long board(s) horizontal is a little bit of a pain due to having to kneel down, but that was only for the saw cuts.

I try to learn something new on every project so that the next time I'm presented with a similar situation, I have more choices.

Chad Pater
03-06-2005, 9:24 PM
I try to learn something new on every project so that the next time I'm presented with a similar situation, I have more choices.

This is great advice (especially for newbies like myself).

Per Swenson
03-06-2005, 9:27 PM
Very good Mr. Becker! I have to laugh at myself, I did one just like that a short time ago. With a leigh jig, 2nd floor balcony. It never entered my mind
to cut them by hand. It should of though ,thanks for next time.
Per

Jim Becker
03-06-2005, 9:32 PM
Ya know...it just dawned on me that I should have raised the dang bench up to the top position while cutting those kerfs in the long board! Sheesh! I wouldn't have needed to kneel down like that. 'Exactly why I bought the Adjust-A-Bench system to begin with. Premature Senior Moment there, folks... :o

Corey Hallagan
03-06-2005, 9:43 PM
Man that is nice work. I think I am a long ways from hand cut dovetails... or a jig cut for that matter.

Corey

Alan Turner
03-07-2005, 4:57 AM
Jim,
For tightening, the Frid joinery book has a good method.
Look'in pretty good.
Alan

Jeff Sudmeier
03-07-2005, 8:29 AM
Jim,

Looks like you did a good job adapting to the situation. That really is what it is all about. I respect you guys that hand cut dovetails. I am not ready to venture into that yet, but it is a task I need to learn!

Jim Becker
03-07-2005, 8:30 AM
I respect you guys that hand cut dovetails. I am not ready to venture into that yet, but it is a task I need to learn!Hold off on the "respect" part...this is only my second time and the outcome is till not assured! But do try it yourself...maybe on your next project?

Sam Blasco
03-07-2005, 1:19 PM
Does this mean you will now be finishing by the law of 2s, as well? I mean now that you are showing the hair on your palms. By the way, I've been mean to ask you, how do you like the adjust-a-bench? It is nearly time for me to build my new assembly bench and I was thinking of ordering the adjust-a-bench legs. What say you?

Jim Becker
03-07-2005, 1:32 PM
That's my face with the hair, Sam... ;)

The Adjust-A-Bench is great. Give Geoffery a call and tell him I sent you. I think Robert might be springing for one soon, too, given Mr. Noden already procured one in Orange based on an innocent conversation at the show! I do plan on replacing the cross pieces with a cabinet at some point, however as I want all my hand-tool storage at the bench.

Roy Wall
03-07-2005, 1:51 PM
Jim,

nice post! You'll do well as always......

Hey, what camera do you use....looks like a "timer" shot w/ camera on tripod?
Just wondering- I've got a Canon EOS 10D.

Jim Becker
03-07-2005, 2:01 PM
Hey, what camera do you use....looks like a "timer" shot w/ camera on tripod?
Nikon D70 on a tripod.

Lou Morrissette
03-07-2005, 3:13 PM
Nice DT's Jim. I've yet to use them on a project but have done a few practice pieces. Why is something as simple as cutting to a line so intimidating?:confused:
Thanks for the pics.

Lou

Teresa Jones
03-07-2005, 4:41 PM
That is one big fireplace - and I am a native Texan!!

You did a very nice job on the dovetails, Jim. I took a class on hand tool applications at Homestead Heritage in Elm Mott, Texas and we made a candle box with hand cut dovetails. It was certainly intimidating, but turned out pretty good.

I haven’t cut a dovetail since then, machine or hand!!!!

TJ

David Fried
03-07-2005, 4:55 PM
The dovetails look nice! (certainly better than mine!) Appears you're half way there. Are you still planning on cutting dovetails in the 8/4 top?

Between the long johns and facial hair it looks like you're pretty well prepared for Siberia. Perhaps you should start sipping Vodka just to develop a keen pallette. ;)

Jim Becker
03-07-2005, 5:01 PM
Are you still planning on cutting dovetails in the 8/4 top?
It will only "appear" to have an 8/4 top...actually 2 3/8" "thick". But it's a solid frame with cherry ply to fill in the field. Due to the length, there will be a seam in the middle of the field that will get a Mark Singer "ebony" inlay to mask the joint.

Between the long johns and facial hair it looks like you're pretty well prepared for Siberia. Perhaps you should start sipping Vodka just to develop a keen pallette.
I think I'll stick with fine wines...I'm not much for hard liquor. Never have been. Nor beer, other than good microbrew. But I suppose when we eventually get to the travel part of our journey, there will be some vodka served at some point!

Dave Malen
03-07-2005, 9:36 PM
Nice job Jim,
Nothing beats the satisfaction of working with hand tools.(well maybe not everything) This weekend I built some doors. The rails were about a thirty second of an inch higher that the stiles. I used my number 4 plane to even them out. Worked great.

Dave

lou sansone
03-07-2005, 9:37 PM
Yea, Dennis, I probably could have posted in the Neander forum, but only the dovetails will be done by hand. I still used my Festool jigsaw to knock out the waste... ;) ...and the table saw and Mini Max J/P to prepare the stock.

In a good sense, both this project and the armoire forced me to do the dovetails by hand due to the long pieces. I don't know that I would do them all the time this way...I like my D4...but being able to is a good skill to learn. Doing the ends of the long board(s) horizontal is a little bit of a pain due to having to kneel down, but that was only for the saw cuts.

hey jim

I am the guy who cuts them all by hand... now that wasn't that bad was it? Seriously though, I found that after a 100 or so DT's I am getting pretty good at it. Jigs have their place, but it seems to me that when you are only doing a couple of units that is takes less time and you really can't screw them up ( well maybe that is not exactly true, but it takes more time to do it than it does with a router )

good job
lou

Mark Singer
03-12-2005, 2:45 AM
Jim,

Excellent! You are really getting in the groove....dovetails by hand yeilds a much nicer product and it is done in about the same time. Very nice work! This will be a great project! Sorry I missed the post I was skiing this week....I am safer in my shop then on the slopes....glad to be back.

Jim Becker
03-12-2005, 8:18 PM
Well, here's an update on this project with a bunch of pictures. Today's activities started with "slivering" the dovetails from last weekend's production to close up some gaps. The "slivers" of cherry are fitted diagonally into the gaps to present end-grain on both sides. In this manner, the adjustments will largely disappear after sanding and finishing.

Once that was accomplished, I moved on to making the field for the top of the capper from some MDF-core cherry sheet goods I scarfed off my friend Russ (for a fee, of course... ;) ). If the fireplace were not so tall, I would have used solid stock, but since the only view of the actual top surface will be from 20 feet away up on the library/loft, I went with the sheet goods. Additionally, since the width of the project is greater than 8' I needed to rip down two pieces that were 19 1/4" wide and then cross cut them to provide two halves that can be joined in the middle and make the full width necessary. Biscuits were used for alignment and since gluing panels end to end is not going to make for a joint that could survive a crash-landing fly, the joint was backed up on the underside with some plywood glued and screwed to the material across the joint. Then the joint was routed out on the "good" side to take a small inlay that cleans up the joint. I was originally going to use something contrasting, but decided to use a simple 1/4" wide strip of cherry.

While the glue cured on the field panel, I sized the cherry frame that will surround it. This had to be done after the top field was joined so that the front piece would be exactly the right width after the dovetails were cut. Speaking of which, they went fairly easily given last weekend's practice. Very little "slivering" will be required...

From there, the frame was assembled around the field, again using biscuits for alignment and glue blocks underneath to provide a solid joint since fasteners into the MDF would be virtually useless.

Tomorrow, I'll bring out the card scraper to level the frame to the field and do any necessary "beautification" of the dovetails. Once that's done, it's time to finish and prepare for the final installation on the fireplace...something I'm looking forward to since the current rough barn wood capper is nearly impossible to clean.

Pics:

Slivered dovetails in the apron made last weekend
Cutting biscuit slots to help keep the two halves of the field piece level with each other. Yes, the CT-22 hose fits very nicely on the Freud J102...first time I ever used it without spraying "stuff" all over...especially nice when working with MDF!
Joining the two halves of the field with reinforcing plywood
Routing out for the narrow inlay that will mask the joint in the field
Field and frame clamped up

Jim Becker
03-12-2005, 8:19 PM
One additional picture from today...the dovetail in the top frame.

lou sansone
03-12-2005, 9:04 PM
hi jim

looks good... I can't quite figure out what and where this is going to go in respect to your fireplace. Is it going to sit above it with the "field" parallel to the wall? I am kind of slow...
lou

Jim Becker
03-12-2005, 9:07 PM
Lou, look in the thread referenced in the very first post. There is a drawing. This cherry unit replaces the barnwood mantle cap that presently sits on top of the stone.

Jason Tuinstra
03-12-2005, 9:48 PM
Jim, lookn' good. Before long, you're going to be whipping out those hand cut's in no time flat. You're second picture is great. The lighting was perfect. It could be the cover shot of the next big Tauton release on hand cut dovetails :D

Jim Becker
03-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Thanks, Jason, but it will be a long time before I could ever "whip out" hand cut dovetails! (Especially without risking another visit to the ER...) I'll be happy enough if they look even marginally acceptable since these cannot be hidden behind a molding like the ones on the top of the armoire were!

Those first couple of pictures really did turn out nice. Interestingly enough...I accidently flipped the camera from "Auto" to "P" on the selector and they were taken sans-flash. The color depth is really nice for those close-in shots taken that way. I guess I have to play with the camera more...in my copious free time, of course... ;)

Steve Inniss
03-13-2005, 7:11 AM
Jim,
I agree - looking good, you are going to enjoy those dovetails every day.

I also agree, pics 2 &3, what a wonderful environment to spend time doing great work. -Steve

Jim Becker
03-13-2005, 6:24 PM
All the construction on this project is now complete and the finishing process started. After a whole bunch of sanding, the apron was assembled to the top to make the final assembly come together. When I build furniture with solid cherry I pretty much never put any kind of color on it. Unfortunately, the solid stock and the sheet goods in this project were a bit "too different" so I decided to even things up with some dye. This will not really be a detriment since the fireplace is not located where it gets a lot (well...any) sunlight so it merely kicks the UV aging/oxidation process a little. After the BLO, garnet shellac and a top coat, this piece should be pretty much the same color as the cherry candle stand that already graces the room. But that's all for next week. Here's a few pics from today:

Sanding away...dirty job, but somebody's got to use the Festool!
Assembly complete. This piece is about 106" wide!
Dye applied and starting to dry. Please note that this is not the color that it will be. WB dyes when they dry are dull and lighter in appearance than the final shade. The color becomes richer and darker with the application of BLO, garnet shellac and a top coat.

Jim Becker
03-19-2005, 7:24 PM
Today, the piece got a light sanding to knock down the fuzzies from the WB dye before applying a liberal coat of BLO in the morning and letting it soak in for awhile. After wiping off any excess, Dr. SWMBO and I did a little shopping. Late in the afternoon, I applied a coat of Tried & True oil/beeswax formula, rubbing it in thoroughly and left the heat on overnight. It's already "silky smooth" and just the way I love cherry to feel.

If I am happy with the results I see in the morning, I may go ahead and install this thing tomorrow as I can do additional coats and/or the final coat of wax in the house with no issues. I'll be glad to get this one out of the shop...it's taking up a ton of room...

Jason Tuinstra
03-19-2005, 8:01 PM
Looks good Jim! Nice up close shot of those dovetails - you're gettn' good! I look forward to seeing it installed.

Jim Becker
03-19-2005, 8:09 PM
Nice up close shot of those dovetails - you're gettn' good! I look forward to seeing it installed.It's amazing what you can accomplish with little slivers of wood :o ...this is only my second time doing hand-cuts and while they were better than the first attempt on the Armoire, they required a lot of "tender loving care" to make them acceptable. The good news is that for this project, "not perfect" is actually an asset given the rustic stone of the fireplace and the barn beams up above.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-21-2005, 8:13 AM
Very nice Jim! I like the hand cut 'tails'. You didn't happen to try and sneak a hand plane into the mix didja? Of course you saved yourself by mentioning the power tools...:D:D:D

Seriously, very nicely done...the fit is great.

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 8:29 AM
You didn't happen to try and sneak a hand plane into the mix didja? Of course you saved yourself by mentioning the power tools...Yea, my L-N low-angle, adjustable mouth block plane saw some action!

Kelly C. Hanna
03-21-2005, 8:43 AM
Yea, my L-N low-angle, adjustable mouth block plane saw some action!I knew it! :D

Greg Narozniak
03-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Very nice work Jim!