PDA

View Full Version : Gravity gun vs. siphon?

Clisby Clark
11-25-2011, 11:01 AM
I bought the Fuji combo about a month before they changed over to the new style gun that has the fan adjustment on the side rather than the air cap. I am satisfied with my results so far, but the range of adjustment with the aircap seems very limited compared to the videos I've seen of the new style gun. I just don't know whether to get the gravity or the siphon gun. I know the siphon has a larger capacity at the expense of maneuverability and ease of cleanup. For those with experience in both types of guns, which would you prefer and for what reason? The Fuji gun is about 3 bills. Is there a better gun in or near the same price range? Thanks

Daniel Berlin
11-25-2011, 9:12 PM
I bought the Fuji combo about a month before they changed over to the new style gun that has the fan adjustment on the side rather than the air cap. I am satisfied with my results so far, but the range of adjustment with the aircap seems very limited compared to the videos I've seen of the new style gun. I just don't know whether to get the gravity or the siphon gun. I know the siphon has a larger capacity at the expense of maneuverability and ease of cleanup. For those with experience in both types of guns, which would you prefer and for what reason? The Fuji gun is about 3 bills. Is there a better gun in or near the same price range? Thanks

So, the siphon gun they use is really a pressurized feed, not a regular siphon feed. The tube you see between the gun and the canister is an air tube, not a fluid tube.

As such, it's not really harder to clean at all. In fact, I use a pressure feed gun with a pressurized 3m pps system, and clean up only the gun. They make a really small pressurized 3m pps cup if you want maneuverability without a remote pressure pot.

I use it because I do occasionally spray very heavy stuff (polyesters, etc), and with heavier stuff, gravity alone sometimes isn't enough :). That, and even if you could get it to flow well, you'd need a 2.5mm or 2.7mm tip for a gravity gun, which it can be hard to get for a lot of guns.

That said, if you aren't spraying large volumes, aren't spraying remotely, and aren't spraying really heavy stuff, gravity feed is probably a better choice, simply because it's cheaper and you won't lose anything.

Jamie Buxton
11-25-2011, 9:36 PM
I used an Accuspray gun for many years that has a 1-quart can below the gun. The can was occasionally in the way, particularly when I was spraying the inside of drawers, or inside cabinets. I bought a Fuji gun with the can above the gun. It does get into places much better. The downside is that is only holds 400 ml, so there's more stops to fill the tank. I use them both, depending on what I'm doing, but if I had to choose just one to keep, it'd be the one with the can on top.

Tom Willoughby
11-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I had the can below the gun and it would hold more material so less fill ups but cleaning it required that I keep the gun attached to the hose and spray the thinner (I used water for water based sprays) until it was clean. I did this outdoors.

The gravity gun is typically smaller so it can get into tighter places but requires more fill ups if you are spraying a larger area. The big advantage for me is that it can be unattached from the hose and cleaned by simply running the thinner (water in my case) through the gun. I did this indoors at the sink with the gravity gun (again, I was using water).

Kind regards,
Tom