PDA

View Full Version : Nicholson Bench

Andy Margeson
11-24-2011, 11:45 PM
At long last, I have begun the process of building a Nicholson workbench. While I think a majority prefer a Roubo or other continental style bench, a number of us really like its practicality and clever engineering.

Most of these benches seem to be built with construction lumber, Mike Siemsen's and Chris Schwarz's for example. I didn't want to because the construction lumber around here is very green, I am not satisfied with the quality and I wanted my top to be a full 2 inches thick. The other day, I stopped by a custom mill and found some nearly clear, vertical grain, kiln dried Douglas Fir that had been rejected for millwork because it has stains and other imperfections. Three times the cost of construction lumber, but I bought it.

Here's some pictures of my work to date:

I've gotten really interested in the history, design and construction of Nicholson benches. So as not to bore you excessively and take up too much space on the SMC server, I've created a blog devoted to the subject. It's oregonwoodworker.blogspot.com.

Give these benches a look before you decide. They're really great. Less time, less money and every bit as functional as the alternatives, though each has advantages and disadvantages.

Peter Pedisich
11-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Andy,

I'll be following this closely, just like your tool chest build.

Thanks for sharing!

Pete

Paul Saffold
11-25-2011, 6:23 AM
I subscribed to your blog and will be watching. Thanks for taking the time to share your build with us.
Paul