PDA

View Full Version : My shop is full of woodworking machinery

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 6:36 PM
The thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17217 , showed the arrival of a lot of new machinery to my garage and the gradual movement of that machinery to my shop.

Well, it's now all in the shop and set up and folks asked for pictures ... so I am posting LOTS and LOTS of pictures.

Here is the first batch.

(1) Taken fro the south end of the shop and showing 5 of the 6 new machines as well as my dust controller.

(2) Also taken from the south side and showing the remaining machine as well as the corridor down to the north end. Right now the corridor is mostly filled with one of my current projects.

(3) Looking back from the corridor towards the two south walls

(4) The middle section of the west wall showing that Festool equipment will remain a very important contributor to my projects.

(5) The stove in the alcove at the north end of the shop with piles of cardboard and wood from the packaging cut up into burnable chunks (yes, I know that I am probably breaking some fire regulations by having the piles too close to the stove :( ).

Another post in this thread (with more pictures) will follow as soon as I can organize it.

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 6:41 PM
This is a set of shots showing the 6 woodworking machines in my shop (well 7 if I can be included in the count ;) )

...There will be more to follow as soon as I can organize another posting.

Christian Aufreiter
03-06-2005, 6:47 PM
Hi Frank,

thanks for this post. Let me say that I am very impressed of your shop and your equipment. I bet you'll spend lots of wonderful hours there, hopefully with your grandson.
Does you table saw have a sliding table? (Sorry, I didn't read all your table saw discussions.)
Just one critical remark, you shop almost looks to "clean", more like an laboratory or hospital. While I like organized shops (and I have to admit that my shop also looks too clean when it's cleaned up) I definitely love the charm of a "wooden wood shop". Maybe you should build some nice wooden tool cabinets etc. in order to get a different atmosphere.

Regards,

Christian

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 6:49 PM
Here is a sequence of pictures showing the set-up. It took about 15 minutes (well 20 if you count the time out to take pictures).

Jim Dunn
03-06-2005, 6:56 PM
Frank a nice job of setting up your shop. I'm impressed with your tool selection as well. But I can't help but express my concern about the wood so close to your stove. Please please move it just a little so as to reduce the possibility of a fire.
Jim

Jim Becker
03-06-2005, 7:01 PM
Looking great, Frank.

Are you comfortable with the TS dust collection drop where it's located to close to the left side of the saw? I find that I generally have more material hang off that side, although I did not have the "black and green" guided saw system available in the past, either.

Corey Hallagan
03-06-2005, 7:07 PM
Wow, great looking shop and equipment there Frank! Absolutely wonderful. I wish you many years of happy retirement and woodworking!

Corey

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 7:13 PM
Thats all the pictures for now folks. But, here are some things that I noted while setting up and testing things. The points are in no particular order.

• The Delta manuals are quite good.

• The General manuals are very sparse.

• The HTC mobile base for the General 650 saw is good (except for the mickey mouse way that one has to set the brakes). The saw and table are really easy to move.

• The Delta planer and jointer come pre-wired for 230 volts, but I wish that they had not bothered. The wire is only 14 gauge and is of inadequate length (180 cm on the jointer and 2 metres on the planer). They should either not wire at all (as was the case with my Oneida, General, and ACM machines) or they should provide at least 3 metres of 12/3 wire. I am now going to have to rewire both machines.

• I am going to reverse the positions of the bandsaw and jointer (once I get a mobile base for the jointer). That appears to be my only planning mistake.

• Delta does not deliver their X5 "free extra tools" in a timely fashion. It's 7 weeks since I mailed in the form for the mobile base for my jointer and the base has still not arrived. I already need to move the jointer, so this is creating problems for me.

• I am very very happy with the amount of room that remains in my shop after the installation of the machines. Things did look good with the cardboard cut-outs that I experimented with, but I had the fear that when, occupied by 3 dimensional machines rather than 2 dimensional cut-outs, things would become crowded.

• The MicroJig splitter was quite easy to install on the table saw. With the limited testing I did, the splitter seems to work very well. I did not even bother to unwrap the splitter and blade guard that cam from General. (Why don't they come up with something better?)

• My dust collection system certainly seems to be performing well. When I turn it on with a near empty barrel, the suction pulls the barrel right off its stand.

• All of my machinery was well packaged and there was no damage of any kind. Also, as far as I can tell, everything is in alignment and level.

• The sooner I get the remaining wall built around the dust collection unit, the better. Its LOUD!

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 7:22 PM
Frank a nice job of setting up your shop. I'm impressed with your tool selection as well.
Jim
Thanks Jim

But I can't help but express my concern about the wood so close to your stove. Please please move it just a little so as to reduce the possibility of a fire.
Jim
I appologized in advance for that :o . I know that its not safe but, until it is cleared up, I will be the only one in the shop and I am being very attentive when there is a fire burning. I expect that the area will be safe again in less than a week.

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 7:28 PM
Hi Frank,
thanks for this post. Let me say that I am very impressed of your shop and your equipment. I bet you'll spend lots of wonderful hours there, hopefully with your grandson.
Christian
Thanks. And, I hope that my grandson and granddaughters will utilize the shop.

Does you table saw have a sliding table? (Sorry, I didn't read all your table saw discussions.)

No sliding table. I plan to continue to use my GCSS for anything big enough to demand a sliding table.

Just one critical remark, you shop almost looks to "clean", more like an laboratory or hospital. While I like organized shops (and I have to admit that my shop also looks too clean when it's cleaned up) I definitely love the charm of a "wooden wood shop". Maybe you should build some nice wooden tool cabinets etc. in order to get a different atmosphere.

Regards,

Christian
Its not as clean as it looks. And yes, wooden cabinets are definately on my to-do list.

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 7:29 PM
Wow, great looking shop and equipment there Frank! Absolutely wonderful. I wish you many years of happy retirement and woodworking!

Corey
Thanks Corey. :) Now I have to work hard to justify the new shop and equipment. ;)

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 7:33 PM
Looking great, Frank.

Are you comfortable with the TS dust collection drop where it's located to close to the left side of the saw? I find that I generally have more material hang off that side, although I did not have the "black and green" guided saw system available in the past, either.
I think it will work out OK because I plan to continue to use my "black and green" guided saw system (as you put it) for bulky material. But, if it doesn't work well, I dont think its a big deal to adjust the position of the ductwork (I have now had a lot of practice doing just that :) ).

Jeff Sudmeier
03-06-2005, 7:52 PM
Frank,

Congrats on getting all of the new tools down to the basement! It looks like they all have their own area. Looks like a great layout!

Frank Pellow
03-06-2005, 7:55 PM
Frank,

Congrats on getting all of the new tools down to the basement! It looks like they all have their own area. Looks like a great layout!
Thanks Jeff :) but you are kidding about the basement, I assume :confused: .

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2005, 8:05 PM
Congrats Frank! It's been a long haul for you building the shop and now outfitting it. Get to work son.......Make some sawdust! Enjoy!

David Fried
03-06-2005, 8:10 PM
Looks very nice Frank. Nice tools, nice shop, and nice layout. Great job painting the doors!

It got up to 46 degrees here today so I got to spend a couple of hours in my shop. I'll dream about your wood stove tonight! :rolleyes:

JayStPeter
03-06-2005, 8:15 PM
Looks great Frank. Congrats. Nice equipment choices. I'm jealous.

Jay

Jim O'Dell
03-06-2005, 8:27 PM
Everything looks great, Frank. How long from start to finish for your shop? I'm just shy of 3 months on my rehab, and while I enjoy the work, I see long way to go before I'll be making anything but construction dust. Did you do ok on your budget? I haven't really set up a budget, just getting what I need to do what needs to be done, but it's adding up faster than I thought it would.
Can't wait to see some pictures of your projects. Jim.

Richard Wolf
03-06-2005, 8:35 PM
Best of luck with a very nice looking shop. I know you will enjoy it. I had a pot belly stove in my old shop that I burned wood in, boy I sure miss it. That will be the best seat in the house.

Richard

Kelly C. Hanna
03-06-2005, 9:45 PM
Well done Frank!! The new machines look right at home. I love the fireplace. Now you can start to enjoy!

Karl Laustrup
03-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Well, Frank, I am very happy that you have all your machines up and running.

You're attention to detail from the early planning stages has given what I'm sure to be a very good shop layout. :) Exception: BS & DJ-20.

Enjoy you're new shop! ;) :) :D

Christian Aufreiter
03-07-2005, 7:46 AM
Thanks for your response, Frank. Wooden cabinets will make your shop look even nicer.
Another question, is it safe to operate the TS without a blade guard?

Regards,

Christian

Ed Lang
03-07-2005, 8:07 AM
So when are you available to come to Virginia and set up my shop!

Excellent job and fantastic layout. I am sure you will enjoy it for a long time.

Best wishes,
Ed

Frank Pellow
03-07-2005, 8:31 AM
Thanks for your response, Frank. Wooden cabinets will make your shop look even nicer.
Another question, is it safe to operate the TS without a blade guard?

Regards,

Christian
I thnk that it is safe - with the proper use of the G-Ripper and other push sticks and if you take the time to think and plan each cut. Neverthless, I am thinking about building/buying an overarm guard sometime in the future (probably not this year).

Frank Pellow
03-07-2005, 8:33 AM
Congrats Frank! It's been a long haul for you building the shop and now outfitting it. Get to work son.......Make some sawdust! Enjoy!
Thanks Ken. But, what's with this son reference :confused: -I am 7 years older than you.

Frank Pellow
03-07-2005, 8:35 AM
Everything looks great, Frank. How long from start to finish for your shop? I'm just shy of 3 months on my rehab, and while I enjoy the work, I see long way to go before I'll be making anything but construction dust. Did you do ok on your budget? I haven't really set up a budget, just getting what I need to do what needs to be done, but it's adding up faster than I thought it would.
Can't wait to see some pictures of your projects. Jim.
A year ago right now, everything was still just on paper (and the plan layout was somewhat different than the final plan layout). My budget control was good.

Ken Gartin
03-07-2005, 8:55 AM
I'm very impressed with your door artwork! That's the best part of the shop! :)

(My walls are adorned too!) :D

Jim Dunn
03-07-2005, 9:32 AM
Frank you look younger than most of us. Must be that big smile you got on in front of the table saw.;) I'd smile that big too if I had all those new tools. Maybe even grow some hair back as well:)

Mike Holbrook
03-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Nice job Frank!

Now you need cabinets like me.

John Bailey
03-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Frank,

I've tried about 15 times to open up this thread to see all the pictures. I can't get by the second post and its attachments. It could be two things - first, living out in the boonies like I do, this old phone internet hook-up is just too slow and times out. Second, and more likely, you've got such a big haul it just won't fit into the thread.

My, my, you must be in heaven with all those new toys, and quality new toys at that. Congratulations!! It's been fun and informative following your progress. Now let's see some projects coming from "Over North," as we call the Toronto area from Northern Michigan.

John

Michael Gabbay
03-07-2005, 1:55 PM
Frank -

Beautiful shop! You should have alot of fun breaking in the new tools.

I'm still not 100% comfortable not have the blade guard on. Even with the splitter, I get concerned about leaning over to push the stock to the outfeed rollers. I do need to add an outfeed table to my saw. Maybe that will help.

Mike

Mike Forsman
03-07-2005, 4:56 PM
Frank,

Very nice shop. I like your layout and selection of tools.