PDA

View Full Version : Jet JWBS 18 x 12' bandsaw

Carl Glenn
11-24-2011, 9:51 PM
Anyone with experience with this saw? Looking at a used unit and have found some poor reviews. Your experience would be appreciated...
Thanks, Carl

David Weaver
11-24-2011, 10:06 PM
if it's the jwbs 18x, I have it, and it's a decent saw. never anything unexpected out of mine, and though I have the 110v 1 3/4 horsepower version, set right, it's handled everything I've done fine, ripping, resawing, whatever.

The one before the X version had less cast iron in it and was maybe less rigid? But I've not seen much in bad reviews from people who own them, often from people who read in a magazine reviews.

Because of that negative press, if I was going to get the non-X version, i would want it cheap - like $500 max if it was in NOS kind of condition. I'd give a couple hundred more used for the 18x version, and maybe another hundred for the one with a 220v motor on it and 3 horsepower if one was in near perfect condition with little use. Any more than that and you're creeping up on the price of a new saw.

Roger Chandler
11-24-2011, 10:52 PM
I also have the 1.75 hp version of this model. I have used it for a lot of cutting. I use a 1.25" x 1.3tpi blade for resawing. I have cut 12" logs with this saw into boards with a re-saw sled I made for it. It has done everything I have asked of it, and done it well.

Getting the roller bearings and guides adjusted correctly and the proper tension on the blade are a must for this as well as all saws to get them to perform optimally, but this saw has done very well for me. I have used blades from 1/2" to 1.25 inch and all have done well.

Paul Symchych
11-25-2011, 1:50 AM
I have an older JWBS 18 [1.5 HP]. Some 8 or 9 years old. Wired 220. It has done everything I've asked of it including sawing mesquite and olive wood logs. A little fiddly to get set up right, specially the lower guides but once set up it has been a great tool. The tension gauge is only a rough guide. You have to experiment a bit.
I've mostly used 1/2" blades but currently have a 5/8" 3tpi Olson on and love it. The biggest blade I've used is a 3/4" which was fine but less versatile than the narrower blades. I can resaw fine with the narrower blades -it just takes a little longer.

The only thing that has gone bad is one wheel bearing began making noises 3 or 4 years ago. Jet sent another quickly and all has been well since.

No complaints.

Dan Hintz
11-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I have the 3HP version of the JWBS-18... other than the bearings being shot in the upper wheel (likely caused by me tightening the nuts way too tight after disassembling/reassembling for moving it), it has performed flawlessly.

Carl Glenn
11-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks all! You made my decision much easier... Sitting in my shop now waiting for work... :)
Appreciate the responses!
Thanks, Carl