PDA

View Full Version : Clamps for a smalll workshop

Timothy Wolf
11-24-2011, 1:55 PM
Hello everyone, Happy Thanksgiving. The reason I am posting is because I have put together a fairly decent workshop in the past year, I am a hobby woodworker with aspirations of maybe making some money one day but not going into full time business. I have almost no clamps and I have decided to start buying clamps so that I am able to make some furniture without having to borrow clamps from friends and so I don't have to drop everything and run to the BORG to get more clamps. I am getting into building furniture for my house mainly Mission style with everything from nightstands and dressers to a hope chest. There will be glue ups and part assembly. I have used all of the main types of clamps so I am familiar with them but I'm not sure what the best way to build up a clamp collection is. Everyone including myself love the Parallel clamps, but they are very expensive. My thoughts are that almost every woodshop I have been in havs at least a few pipe clamps and they are very economical but will they work well for more than just glue ups? I have been offered 48" Jet speed bar clamps for $17.99ea they ususally run $28 ea. I've also been offered the Jet 36" Slip clutch for $19.99 normally $34.00 ea. or some Bessey tradesman also on discount. I worry about the 18"+ F-clamps having too much flex but haven't ruled them out completely. My clamp budget over the next few months is about $600

My thinking right now is to:

buy about 20 - 48" Shop Fox 3/4" bar clamps approx. $400 (with bars)
buy the 30 piece Shop Fox F- Clamps approx. $220

or

5 of the Irwin Parallel clamp sets which would give me 10 48" and 10 24" parallel clamps cost would be approx $600

or 5 of the Jet Parallel clamp sets for a little more $ but same length and amount of clamps

or buy whatever decent clamps come on Craigslist in my area the clamps would be a mixture of all the major brands I'm sure but they might also be in less then perfect condition so I worry about going this route for something so important.

or suggestions from you all

I would love some advice please let me know if from experience you can tell me good reasons to stay away from some of the clamps I've listed.

Kent A Bathurst
11-24-2011, 4:59 PM
Buy and use the types of clamps you like best.

My personal experience/clamp inventory:

25 sets of 3/4" pony clamps with pads, and 50 or so different lenghts of black pipe. Pipe lengths from 30" to 96". Most concentrated in the 30", 40", and 60" lengths.

10 or so parallel clamps in 60" - 72" lengths. for cabinet assembly.

For shorter stuff, I have Gros Stabil heavy-duty F-style clamps 6 @ 12" and 6 @ 18", and plenty Jorgy F-style bar clamps in 12" trhu 36"

Everyone loves the parallel clamps, and I have no argument. However, with my caul setup, I use the pony 3/4" pipe clamps over/under/over/under and end up with glue joints that require nothing more than a card scraper to finish the glue joint. To each is own.

Bottom line - there are many ways to get the skin off any particular cat, and find the one way that you are most comfortable with, and run with it.

Don Jarvie
11-24-2011, 6:08 PM
I'm a Bessey fan and that all I use. I have 4 - 24s, 3 - 36s and 3 - 50s. I have a few other sizes but the Besseys are my go to clamps. There expensive but I've had mine over 15 years with no problems.

I've accumulated them as I needed them. I could use a few more but based on the size of my shop I also don't have tons of room to put glue up around.

Ray Newman
11-24-2011, 6:21 PM
I would buy the clamps when and as you need them.

Could cost you more, but I have seen a few "clamp collections" containing seldom or not used clamps....

John A langley
11-24-2011, 6:34 PM
Timothy. I have mostly Jorgy clamps, parallel clamps , pipe clamps and F style. Also 4 or 5 hand screws, they come in handy. Also some Irwin and record style F clamps. With the exception of the Jorgy F style clamps, all of my clamps have a T type crank. The wooden straight type handles are, in my opinion, a lot harder to get a torque on. I wouldn't be in a hurry to build a collection of clamps all at once. Buy what you need for each project. If you find that you don't really care for a particular brand, you can always change at that time.

Greg Hines, MD
11-24-2011, 6:38 PM
I have gotten my clamps as I needed them, or as I got a good deal on them. I have a half dozen pipe clamps, with several lengths of pipe for them, as well as a half dozen Bessey Revos, and some F-style clamps. I would get them as you need them, before you get a bunch you don't need and don't have what you actually do.

Doc

johnny means
11-24-2011, 6:42 PM
My first clamp set was the bessey tradesman 30 clamp set. To this day that set cover 90% of my needs. I also purchased a bunch of cabinet masters at Menards when they where on sale. I bought 4 each of the 24", 36", and 48". This core set of clamps cost less than $600 and is probably enough for me to do 99.5% of the things I need to do.

I do have many more clamps, but if I had to start over on your budget these would be my first choices.

Gary Herrmann
11-24-2011, 6:58 PM
Buy your clamps based on what you know you'll need for your next few projects. If the Rockler near you has clamp sets, go tomorrow and use the 25% off coupon.

Timothy Wolf
11-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Buy your clamps based on what you know you'll need for your next few projects. If the Rockler near you has clamp sets, go tomorrow and use the 25% off coupon.

Maybe I missed it but what 25% off coupon?

David Hostetler
11-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Different clamp types do different things, some better, some not so great. I have found for me, that a certain mix of clamps has worked well...

Pittsburgh F style bar clamps, in 6, 12, 24, and 36" (Harbor Freight) are affordable, and really work well for me. A couple of Crafstman and Jorgenson Pony F style bar clamps are in the mix for good measure as well. Both Pittsburgh and Grizzly 3/4" pipe clamps along with an assortment of 3/4" pipe, Craftsman C clamps (antiques, don't recall where I got them) as well, Irwin Quick Grips, Unknown brand, whatever the brand that Peachtree carries, of band clamps, and a stack of various hand screw clamps and spring clamps round out the collection. All told I have a collection of about 80 clamps and less than $300.00 into the whole shebang, not counting the 3/4" pipe (THAT stuff adds up FAST). I have a few clamps I DO regret buying. Specifically any corner clamp from Harbor Freight. Just avoid it. The look easy to break and for good reason...

Paul McGaha
11-25-2011, 12:15 PM
As far as bar clamps go when I first equipped my small hobbiest shop, half of my clamps were parallel clamps and the other half were aluminum bar clamps, to save money.

In time I sold all of the aluminum bar clamps and bought more parallel clamps because thats what I prefer using.

If I had to do it again I would buy all parallel clamps the first time. And try to buy them on sale because there are times when you see them pretty deeply discounted on sale.

Good luck with it.

PHM

glenn bradley
11-25-2011, 1:36 PM
In order of frequency of use in my shop (not necessarily importance):

4" - Bessey Mighty-mini's
- oddly, Lowe's often has the best price on these at about $5 each. I have a dozen plus four 4" Jorgensen's that I bought before I got tired of the pad oil constantly transferring on Jorgies.
12", 18" and 24" parallel clamps
- For lighter work I have a half a dozen 12" and 18" Bessey UniKlamps and eight 24" K-bodys
6", 12" and 18" F-style clamps
- I have Jorgensen, Columbia, Rockler; essentially whatever was on sale. Just to clarify the value system, these are not my 3rd most used clamps, they are my 3rd least used clamps. If I had to give up any clamps, all these could go except maybe the 6".
Longer parallel clamps
- 31" and 50" K-Bodys
Everything else
- This category includes pipe clamps (great on those rare occasions when you need them) face frame clamps, hand-screws, edge clamps, angle clamps, surgical tubing, spring clamps, Vario Clipex (again best priced at Lowe's (???), etc.

You will get nearly identical responses to this and completely opposite responses to this based on what the person is doing and how they do it. The clamps I use least are the ones I picked up just to have some. These were bought before I had figured out what my preferred methods or work were. You will undoubtedly end up with some that seemed terribly necessary but, just don't get used. Don't let that stop you; you have to do some things to figure out how you like doing them best . . . Hey, is this a chicken-and-the-egg thing??? At any rate, as Paul pointed out; no home shop warrior EVER pays full price for clamps. Watch for sales. :D

ian maybury
11-25-2011, 1:39 PM
I can claim no great expertise, but did spend quite a few years buying small numbers of presumably Eastern made lower cost items which never seemed to work 100% reliably due to poor manufacturing quality. I got the chance last year to invest in a decent collection of Besseys, and have to say the difference is night and day. i.e. make sure that whatever you buy is of sufficient quality that they work reliably.

I bought a quantity of light duty and not too expensive Bessey all metal mighty-mini and LMU clamps, and because they are so easy to handle find I get great use out of them for all sorts of everyday clamping jobs..

ian

George Gyulatyan
11-25-2011, 2:08 PM
Maybe I missed it but what 25% off coupon?
Black Friday mailer. You get them if you're on the mailing list of your local Rockler store.

shane lyall
11-28-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm a Jorgy fan myself but I have some Bessy stuff as well. Both are good. Even the cheap HF f-style are ok but not great. They flex with moderate force. I, like most, tried the HF quick grip style with bad results. If you decide to try those be careful not to shake the bag or you will break them. Those are the only avoid at all costs that comes to mind.Good advice above in buy as you need them. Start with a few HF f-style of each size and, within a few projects, you'll know what size you need to add. For a few years I would pick up at least 1 clamp anytime I went to a BORG and I guess I have over 100 in assorted styles and sizes in my shop now.....and I STILL don't have to many clamps.

Mike Heidrick
11-29-2011, 1:28 AM
I too started out with the German made 30 pack of Bessey F clamps - they are awesome. I then bought all the Bessies, Jorgys, and Jet parallels I could finding them used and on crazy deals. Then I used a JLT panel rack for glue ups at a buddies shop and was hooked. After that I went searching for a used one. Spent $900 and drove 5 hours to get a 8' rack with eighteen 40" clamps. SOOO awesome for glue ups. They are Not for the small shop, but for folks with space who spend thousands on clamps look into one of these used! A SMC member and I went and bought the pneumatic flatners at the same time about 6 months later. Dream panel clamping setup. I still use my F and parallel clamps but not for glue ups anymore. Have only bought some specialty clamps since (face frame bessies and some heavy duty 12" throat F clamps). I do have enough clamps - well maybe not.

Danny Hamsley
11-29-2011, 7:56 AM
I went the cheap route, then slowly began to get an inventory of Bessey parallel clamps. What I found is that the Bessey parallel clamps will clamp up dead square. Dead square. That is important. Dead square. They are worth every penny.

Matt Day
11-29-2011, 8:19 AM
I would definitely recommend buying what you need to complete your next couple projects instead of buying in bulk. You mentioned buying 20 48" clamps - what do you plan to do to use all 20 at one time? I have I think at most 8 clamps that are 48-50", and have been ww'ing for about 7 years. Not to say I wouldn't like to have 20, but I've made it work with with I have. I also love my Jet Parallel clamp set - I think I have the cabinetmakers set and have 2 40" and 2 24" (or close to that). I use them all the time. I also have 4 of the Irwin parallel clamps from when Big Lots blew them out. I always reach for the parallel clamps first, then go to F-style ones after that. I have a couple sets of the cheap Columbian brand F-style and use those quite a bit, and also have 4 6" f style clamps that are bessy's and use those all the time too.

Sorry to ramble, but I would suggest keeping an eye out for deals and sales and then buying, and thinking what your needs are.

Mike Heidrick
11-29-2011, 9:26 AM
Anyone use bow clamps? I have a set and never really think to use them but they would be very good in many situation I am in now that I think about them more LOL. Last week in fact I should have used them.

Andrew Joiner
11-29-2011, 4:03 PM
You guys sound like a bunch of happy clampers.

I just got all excited about buying some more clamps. I almost ran out of clamps doing a big job. I was going to spend a lot on some heavy bar clamps and parallel clamps.

In my shop the most reached for clamp is a handscrew, but for long clamps I grab a 1/2" pony # 52 first. I have more 3/4" pipe clamps but they are heavy and the cranks hit when they're close together, the 1/2" handles are sliding pin so they don't hit. Yes ,the 1/2" pipe bends easier but it doesn't hurt the glue up quality. Usually the joint's tight before the pipe bends much.

The clamping I do the most is edging hardwood plywood with solid and edge-gluing solid stock into panels. So I went out in the shop and tested the 1/2" pipe clamps I've had for 40 years. I was thinking 1 parallel clamp would replace 2- 1/2" ponies and it might, I still have to test a parallel clamp. However 1 parallel clamp costs as much as 3- 1/2" ponies including new pipe cut to size.

I'd love to save money and get the Harbor Freight 1/2" pipe clamps , but they don't have sliding pin handles and the few I tried weren't machined square. I have a few HF F-clamps and they work fine.

I think if I buy any more clamps it will my all time favorite 1/2" pony #52's.

Chris Tsutsui
11-29-2011, 6:39 PM
I built my collection from sale and used clamps. Then whatever I don't use, I sell or get rid of.

I use pipe clamps for very long clamps.
I use 2 foot parallel clamps the most. Besseys are lighter and easier to use for smaller projects than my Jorgs.
I use 3 foot parallel clamps for larger stuff. I don't normally need 4 foot parallels for my stuff.

For the small clamping jobs, I like bessey tradesman heavy duty clamps. I also have some bessey deep reach F style clamps that come in handy and have lots of clamping power.

Carl Babel
11-29-2011, 6:56 PM
You could also consider "rolling your own":
http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/projects/archive/2009/10/29/wooden-bar-clamps.aspx
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?3786-Real-Wood-Clamps
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169308-Wooden-Bar-Clamps
http://woodgears.ca/clamps/jh_barclamps.html
You will have a lot of fun and be the envy of every woodworker that comes into your shop. AW claims a per-clamp cost of about $22 (hardware and wood), for 49" capacity clamps. The article is about 2 years old, so prices may have gone up a bit, but I am betting that you could easily get 20+ clamps for $600.

Bobby O'Neal
11-29-2011, 7:05 PM
I agree with the sentiment to buy what you need, when you need it. Keep that cash on hand until you need a size or style or come across an amazing deal.

Bill Wyko
11-29-2011, 7:18 PM
Keep your eye out in Craigs list and the local paper. I was able to get dozens of clamps, some new from a cabinet shop that was closing up. I litterally paid pennies on the dollar.

Aleks Hunter
11-30-2011, 12:55 PM
The only thing certain about clamps is that no matter how many you have you will feel like you need more.

In addition to the usual parallel, "F" type and pipe and spring clamps, you can really stretch a buck with strips of cut up inner tube, bungee cords and straps with ratchets. You're simply trying to hold workpieces together under moderate pressure while glue sets up. Many moons ago I worked with a guitar maker and he was a big fan of a million variations of the rubber band and ratcheting strap. If you have a complicated glue up an elastic can be that third and fourth hand you need to hold things in place while you apply the clamps.Run out of clamps? Try a cinder block, weight is force. Get creative with cauls so that one clamp can put pressure in several places. Its not about having any "official" tool set, its about using what you have to best purpose. Remember, every power tool that cuts or mills wood is really just a glorified chisel.

Jerome Hanby
11-30-2011, 3:52 PM
If you are adding pipe clamps to your arsenal, the new version of the 3/4" Pittsburgh clamp with feet at Harbor Freight is a pretty good deal. They seem to work just fine with the black pipe I bought from the Borg. I collected 20% off coupons and looped through twice for my next three HF trips to get a half dozen of them for about $8.00 a pop tax included.

I have some of their F clamps and two types of miter clamps and really don't care for any them. The miter clamps are about useless and the F style just aren't as solid as the Columbian brand I bought from Woodcraft when they were clearing them out. One of these days, I'm going to buy one of those Bessey collections to replace all my F clamps.

I really wish I had cleaned out Lowe's on all sizes of the K bodies when they were clearing them out. I grabbed six each of the 24" and 50" models, and sure wish I had gotten all that they had. At the time Lowe's had some $10 off a $25+ purchase online coupons and I registered dozens of hotmail addresses and my street address with 1 through about 25 added to the street number. With the clearance price, I got the 50" for about $28 and the 24" ones for about $20. I added some pine panels and other knick knacks to get the 24" up to $25 to get that $10 off <g>. I made about three trips loping through about 6 times each trip. I got a little dizzy, but I ended up with a bunch of clamps...

Timothy Wolf
11-30-2011, 4:47 PM
I have read all of your responses and appreciate all the input I got. I placed an order @ Grizzly today for 20 of the Bessey H series 3/4" pipe clamps for 9.95 ea. I thought that qualified as a good enough deal my local Lowes sells them for 19.95 ea! I will buy the pipe as needed but I am leaning towards a goal of having 12- 36" 6 -48" and 2- 60" (that was the best way I could figure to cut up 7 10ft pipes). Since my smallest pipe clamps will be 36" I figure anything about 18" or longer will work with the pipe clamps. For the under 18" I am leaning towards buying the Bessey tradesman clamps (possibly the 30 piece set or individual clamps that are 18" and under) or the Shop fox Clamps which have an awesome price but I haven't been able to find a review of them anywhere. From there I should have my basic clamping needs filled and I can start buying a couple of the Parallel clamps with the HF 20% off coupon everytime I get a chance. I feel that I will then be equiped for the long haul and only need to buy a few odd clamps as the need arises.

Andrew Joiner
11-30-2011, 8:25 PM
the Shop fox Clamps which have an awesome price but I haven't been able to find a review of them anywhere. http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/h/h2621.jpg
I have a couple of these and they are excellent, heavy duty F- clamps . A great value. Some local tool stores carry Shop Fox . I saved the shipping costs when I got mine.

HANK METZ
11-30-2011, 9:22 PM
If you get some of these, you can construct multiples to suit, i.e. 2@ 36" + coupler = 72" capacity.

- Beachside Hank

Terry Beadle
12-01-2011, 9:59 AM
Maybe I'm cheap !

You can make your own economically and get great results.

Check these links out :
http://woodgears.ca/clamps/jh_barclamps.html
http://books.google.com/books?id=pPYDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&lr&rview=1&pg=PA32#v=onepage&q&f=false

H (http://woodgears.ca/clamps/jh_barclamps.html)appy shavings !

Timothy Wolf
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/h/h2621.jpg
I have a couple of these and they are excellent, heavy duty F- clamps . A great value. Some local tool stores carry Shop Fox . I saved the shipping costs when I got mine.

I haven't seen them in stores around me and was really wondering how they compare to the heavy duty Jorgies and Bessey tradesman or would a better comparison be the new jet f style clamps? Grizzly does have a really good price on them right now but I just want to make sure I don't get harbor frieght quality clamps with a paint job, unless of course I pay harbor frieght prices.

Timothy Wolf
12-01-2011, 11:08 AM
If you get some of these, you can construct multiples to suit, i.e. 2@ 36" + coupler = 72" capacity.

- Beachside Hank

I will be getting some of those for sure!

Andrew Joiner
12-01-2011, 1:41 PM
I haven't seen them in stores around me and was really wondering how they compare to the heavy duty Jorgies and Bessey tradesman or would a better comparison be the new jet f style clamps? Grizzly does have a really good price on them right now but I just want to make sure I don't get harbor frieght quality clamps with a paint job, unless of course I pay harbor frieght prices.

The Shop Fox clamp has acme like threads.The screw is the same diameter as a 3/4" Jorgie pipe clamp screw,very stout. The HF F-clamps have non acme threads and are very wimpy in comparison.

The Shop Fox is close in quality to the same size F- clamp Jorgensen makes.