PDA

View Full Version : Shopsmith as drill press

Derrell W Sloan
11-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I have heard that the shopsmith is an ok tool for most functions. For those that have one what do you think of it as a drill press? I have a 17'' floor model Jet drill press but might have the chance to pick up a shopsmith. If I did get the shopsmith I would have to get rid of the drill press (only have so much room). The only two functions I would really use the shopsmith for would be the drill press and lathe. I guess what I need opinions on are given the choice between the shopsmith or Jet drill press which would you choose for drilling and why? The only things I don't really like about the Jet are the depth stop adjustment system (I hate having to spin those nuts so many times) and adjusting the speed.

Mike Heidrick
11-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Just found this last night.

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/DPModifications.shtml

That will add the awesome stop from Delta to your Jet.

I really like the shopsmith as a drill press but it is super long and takes up a ton of space. I just finished a big job of drilling a ton of aluminum with my shopsmith. I love teh table in and out adjustments. I took the saw insert out and clamped in a drill press vise. The fence made it super easy too.

It rocks as a horizontal drill press too.

For super quick drilling operations though I would go to the Jet.

Derrell W Sloan
11-24-2011, 6:25 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link! I really dislike the Jet depth stop. This mod looks like it would fix the biggest (to me) annoyance I have with my current drill press.

Greg Hines, MD
11-24-2011, 6:45 PM
Post people maintain that drill press and horizontal boring are some of the strong points of the Shopsmith system. I have a similar tool, and I like it. It is certainly bigger than your drill press, but it does do a lot more than just a drill press. I would never have the room for a lathe, and with it, I do even though I don't use it very often.

Doc