PDA

View Full Version : Cherry 14 x 13 floor tom

Seth Dolcourt
11-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Well, I put another one together. This is the thread, in rapid time. I hope the pictures alone will tell the story.

Of course, any questions or comments will be answered! :) Figured y'all didn't need too much verbiage with this build.

Seth Dolcourt
11-23-2011, 11:15 PM
More to the story.

Seth Dolcourt
11-23-2011, 11:16 PM
The story continues.

Seth Dolcourt
11-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Still more, and more.

Seth Dolcourt
11-23-2011, 11:20 PM
...and the winner, completed.

The last picture shows the cherry drum ready to replace the black plastic wrapped Pearl Sound Check floor tom. Out with the old, in with the new.

Thanks for looking.

Ted Calver
11-24-2011, 6:20 PM
Seth, This is a beautiful looking drum. Thanks for sharing the process with us. I really appreciate seeing how you do these beauties.

Seth Dolcourt
11-25-2011, 2:45 AM
Hi, Ted,

Thanks for the kind words!

l draw a lot of inspiration from the wealth of projects on this site, it's a pleasure to add what I can.

Pat Pollin
02-25-2012, 10:53 AM
that looks really, really nice! How does it sound? Do you ever make full kits?

Seth Dolcourt
02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Hi, Pat,

It sounds really good. It's been tuned by different folk, each to their preference. My son had the heads fairly slack, with just enough tension to eliminate wrinkling on the heads. Nice and low.

Someone else tuned the heads tighter, so it does have a higher pitch than before, but still a nice, woody, resonant sound.

I have built a 3 piece bubinga kit for a jazz/bop guy, he still sends me emails with sound files. He's a great player, and it's a thrill to hear some of the projects he's worked on. Currently, I'm piecing together the parts for my son's personal kit, maple 10" and 12" diameter rack toms, and a 14" diameter floor tom, to replace the cherry one.

Unless someone contacts me to make a kit, I have no plans for any more.

Bobby O'Neal
03-03-2012, 9:30 PM
That looks great. Never heard Cherry drums. What are the tonal characteristics compared to the other popular woods?

Carl Beckett
10-13-2012, 5:43 PM
Hi Seth,

I have enjoyed seeing your builds.

Where do you source the hardware?

doug barr
10-15-2012, 9:43 AM
Where do you get the hardware?

Mark Duksta
10-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Looks good Seth.

Mark aka RUFF

Seth Dolcourt
10-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Hi Seth,

I have enjoyed seeing your builds.

Where do you source the hardware?

Where do you get the hardware?

Hi, Carl and Doug,

I've been off the Creek for a while, so I'm catching back up.

The lugs are from Drum Foundry, they are called arch lugs. The lugs themselves are high quality, and pleasingly, not horribly expensive, some $3-5 each.

The hoops, legs and mounting brackets were from a liquidation sale, I'll never get that kind of good price again. Drum Factory Direct has been a good source for all things drums and percussion. You can also try Drum Supply House.

Tension rods, and the 4 mm screws with integrated lock washer to mount the lugs to the shell, are also for Drum Factory Direct.

Looks good Seth.

Mark aka RUFF

Ruff, laddie! Good to see you here, too. Anything new cooking?