PDA

View Full Version : What type of sandpaper?

Brent Beelby
03-06-2005, 5:55 PM
I plan on buying one of those 6"x48" plus 9" disk sanders this weekend. I'm just wondering what course of sandpaper should I get? I'm thinking 80 grit for the belt and 120 for the disk. I don't really want to buy any that won't really get used, they're kind of expensive. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Brent

Jim Becker
03-06-2005, 7:06 PM
I use 100 grit on both pretty much exclusively. It's agressive enough for anything I've tried relative to shaping wood on this tool.

Doug Shepard
03-06-2005, 7:22 PM
I tend to use the belt on shorter pieces for finish edge or face sanding more than for shaping, so mine usually has a 150. The disc gets more of my shaping duties and is usually 80 or 100.

lou sansone
03-06-2005, 8:39 PM
On the 6x48 I have an assortment of belts 100,120,150 180,220. Use them all at times. get a belt cleaner and it will extend the life of the belts. I don't use the disk all that much, but keep about a 80 grit on it.

Alan Turner
03-07-2005, 5:04 AM
Brent,
My preference is for the zirconia alumina belts, which last just about forever if you keep them clean. They come in grits from about 80 - 120. Very durable stuff. Bit spendier, but cheaper in the long run.

Alan Mikkelsen
03-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Brent, here's my .02.

I have a 9" disc, 6x48 combination sander. I'm less than pleased with it. It's the Craftsman professional model, for what it's worth. I use the disc, mostly, and usually leave 80 grit paper on it. The disc turns at 3450 rpm and the aluminum table and disc have way too much vibration for a smooth job. I've put a link belt on it and tried to do my best to balance things. I rarely use the belt.

I'm only mentioning this because this is one of the few machines I bought that I've really been sorry about. I've had it for almost 7 years, and have been pretty unhappy all that time.

If you want a combination sander, even though it's much more money, I'd recommend a 12" disc, 1720 rpm machine. I think they run much smoother. I really wish I would have known this when I bought mine.

Personally, I'm going to get the Jet 12" disc sander and the Jet bench top spindle sander. I use the disc and spindle much more than the belt portion of my current sander. It will be a lot more money, but will be worth it in the long run. I just have to convince my wife, or embezzle enough money out of my 'allowance' to make it happen. Sometimes I get a check or two that doesn't get 'shared'. :D