PDA

View Full Version : JK's new avitar................

Roger Chandler
11-23-2011, 8:53 PM
Okay,

I just noticed that John has posted a new avitar............nice John.........I won't give you as rough a time as I did Steve..............only 'cause I can' think of a way to do it right now! :D;):rolleyes:

Sean Hughto
11-23-2011, 9:06 PM
Must be in the air ...

I think JK's looks great!

Roger Chandler
11-23-2011, 9:28 PM
Must be in the air ...

I think JK's looks great!

Frankly Sean..........I liked your old one better! :D;)

Sean Hughto
11-23-2011, 9:34 PM
I'll change it again when I complete the marquetry.

By the way, you look great in yours!

Roger Chandler
11-23-2011, 9:45 PM
I'll change it again when I complete the marquetry.

By the way, you look great in yours! Yeah, that green color kinda shows up nice! Are you really doing a marquetry in wood, or just playing around with the photo? I have always admired those who do marquetry.........some of the most beautiful work I have ever seen as far as wood art. Even some furniture that has inlays can be made from great to extraordinary by the use of marquetry.

If you have done some, you should post some of your work............if they are as good as your bowls, then I would love to see some of them!

Harry Robinette
11-23-2011, 9:48 PM
Now that looks like the guy I saw at the Cincinnati symposium.

Sean Hughto
11-23-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm trying to develop skills in double bevel marquetry. I'm inspired by Silas Kopf and others and am thankful to Silas for being generous in demonstrating his technique. It's one thing to see him do it and quite another to do it oneself, though. I need to improve my scroll sawing. Here are my meager efforts to date - about second bowl ever level in lathe terms ;-)

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6230/6336429722_02d04f6eaa_z.jpg

in progress:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6391618843_68fa5b6e9b_z.jpg

John Keeton
11-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Wow, Sean!! That is going to be an awesome self portrait! Marquetry has always intrigued me, and someday I may give it a try. At one point, I owned a very nice scroll saw (actually, it was Ms. Keeton's), but one of our kids has it now. Too many things, so little time!

As to the avatar, it was just time for a change, and I happened to be downloading some pics of my and the grandkids and thought it would be a convenient time to upgrade to the "longer hair" version of JK.:)

David DeCristoforo
11-23-2011, 10:24 PM
ARRGH!!! HIPPIES!!! And guys with heads made out of wood? What's going on around here???

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Looking good John!!

Roger Chandler
11-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Awesome work Sean! I would love to see more when you finish!

Nice pic, John............DD may have hit on a point.........is this new look a reversion back to the 60's and the longing of a by gone era? I need to ask Mrs. Keeton...........how many tie-die t-shirts do you have hanging in your closet? :cool::rolleyes::eek:

Dan Forman
11-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Lookin' mighty fine John. About like mine was in the 70's - not enough up there to get away with these days for me.

Dan

David Reed
11-24-2011, 1:36 AM
I'm there with JD - what's wrong with adults these days.

Andrew Kertesz
11-24-2011, 6:34 AM
I'll bet John was a wild child when he was in high school.... Probably got some good stories to tell.

Tony De Masi
11-24-2011, 9:12 AM
Hey, if ya got it then grow it. If ya don't, then look like me.

Tom Winship
11-24-2011, 9:19 AM
John, back in the day, were you what we called a "hippie", or is this old age rebellion? Don't get me wrong, after your last couple of weeks, looks matter little, don't they?

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2011, 9:57 AM
Look'in good John.

John Keeton
11-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Tom, I was born in 1948, and grew up in the hills of eastern KY. Hippies were just something we read about or saw on TV (one or more of the three channels we got from the post and strand TV line that I installed to the top of the mountain behind us, with an antenna up in an oak tree!

After the age of 12 or so, I had long hair, but it was more of an Elvis look, and over the years, it has always been longer than the styles that came and went - none of which I ever paid much attention to. I guess, in some ways, I was always in rebellion mode and there were some troubling moments for my parents - well, more than "some", I guess. But, grace being what it is, somehow I didn't end up in prison or dead - like several of my friends did.

I always said once I reached the age that I no longer cared what folks thought about me, I was going to let my hair grow. I must add that Schlumpf was the ultimate motivating factor here. He pushed me over the edge!

One of our local judges questioned me about "why" I decided to let it grow, and I told her the same "once I get to the point of not caring" story. Her comment was - "You never really cared much what folks thought about you!" I am still trying to determine the real meaning behind the comment!?!?!?:confused: I am pretty sure it wasn't intended to be totally complimentary.;)

Roger Chandler
11-24-2011, 11:02 AM
John,

This link is for you.................maybe you will find something in this song you can identify with.........:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhPVZbINR0w

Hope you get a smile!

Tom Winship
11-24-2011, 7:02 PM
John, I came up about 5 years ahead of you and went throught the "burr" and flat-top thing. Then I came to TAMU and got my head shaved. Wore it short all the way through college (ROTC) and then on active duty in the AF. Just kind of got used to it...........plus it is curly as everything if it gets over about 1" long.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ken Hill
11-24-2011, 7:21 PM
Looking real good my down home friend.

David DeCristoforo
11-25-2011, 3:27 PM
I had a good friend named Art who was a glass artist. He had very long hair. He had a friend named Steve who had even longer (and much fuller) hair. For Art, Mecca was the Kokomo Glass company in Kokomo, Indiana and one day, he decided to make a pilgrimage. And since it was such a long drive and he did not want to waste time laying over, he took Steve along to share the driving. The folks at the Kokomo glass company were very hospitable and offered them a tour of the factory. They were then consigned into the care of an elderly gentleman from "somewhere's south" who graciously showed them around. But first he dubbed them "Hair" and "More Hair". Being from the south, he pronounced it "Haya" and "Mohaya". Perhaps we should so christen Steve and John. We would have to determine which was which but that should not be that hard…

John Keeton
11-25-2011, 4:00 PM
David, having seen Steve's hair in person, he would be Mohaya!!! Much longer, and though his hairline starts a bit further back, his is much thicker. I attribute that to his youth!;) Or, perhaps, he hasn't pulled out as much of his with "design opportunities" that arise!:D

David DeCristoforo
11-25-2011, 4:23 PM
Ahh... but we may want to factor facial haya in to the equation! This might not be as easy as we first thought...

Dan Forman
11-25-2011, 5:21 PM
If John can go forward in time, is it ok for me to go back a few years... er...decades? :D

Dan