PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Derek Cohen!

Mark Baldwin III
11-23-2011, 8:19 PM
I cut my first successful tenon today, while doing my best to follow Derek's method (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/AHandcutMorticeandTenonPrimer-BlindMortice.html). I couldn't be happier with the results. The experienced among you may find this boring, but hey, I'm excited because I'm finally on my way to learning something that's NOT rehabbing old crusty tools!

more here http://milwaukeemonastery.blogspot.com/2011/11/cutting-tenon.html

Terry Beadle
11-24-2011, 1:30 AM
Congrats ! A good mortise and tenon joint is harder to do than hand cut dove tails.

By the way, usually one does the mortise first and then fits the tenon to it. That's because it's way easier to size the tenon than to get the mortise adjusted. Just a thought!

Mark Baldwin III
11-24-2011, 5:19 AM
Thanks, Terry. I remember noticing that in a recent thread here. Since I have several of these to do for the coffee table, I thought I'd try to do a few each way to see which work for me. I bet I can get a fair amount of it done today before heading off for dinner with the family.

Eric Brown
11-24-2011, 6:45 AM
I also wish to say thanks to Derek. He is inspirational in that he is not afraid to try something new and he never fails to work around problems. He has always given good, clear, unbiased opinions. He is a role model in that he enjoys working with wood and is always happy to share his journey. He gives the message - If I can do it so can you.

Bravo Derek!

Sincerely, Eric

Derek Cohen
11-24-2011, 7:23 AM
Do we have a "blushing" icon?

You are very welcome. Many thanks for the kind words.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Matthews
11-24-2011, 7:27 AM
I'm prepared to put my money where my keyboard is; how do I support your website, DC?

Your website neatly fills the gaps left by rushed classroom instruction and the magazines published on the topic.

Good onya, mate.

Derek Cohen
11-24-2011, 9:32 AM
Thank for the offer Jim. My bank will only accept a monthly direct deposit of at least 4 figures ... :)

The cost of running a website is not that much and my gift to all my friends.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Shea
11-24-2011, 10:36 AM
I might as well jump on the bandwagon. I've learned a ton from you as well Derek and truely appreciate you taking your time to share all your steps. My woodworking takes alone takes a large amount of my spare time and if I was to stop and take pictures and write-ups of all the steps I don't think I'd get anything done. So I'm very grateful for the fact there are people out there willing to do this for us.

Your write-up on bevel-up planes and their irons was a game changer for me. Getting the camber right for smoothing and using 25* blades has truely saved me lots of time and headaches. Thanks again Derek.

Paul Cahill
11-24-2011, 11:49 AM
I am a big fan of Derek's writings too and have learned a lot. I have only just started making M&T's. I am cutting the tenons on the BS, but followed Derek's approach for getting them to fit.

Paul

Jim Matthews
11-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Thank for the offer Jim. My bank will only accept a monthly direct deposit of at least 4 figures ... :)

The cost of running a website is not that much and my gift to all my friends.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Fair enough, where do I send the Indonesian Rupiah, presently stuffing my mattress?

Jim Koepke
11-24-2011, 2:38 PM
+1 on the thanks to Derek.

An inspirational source for many.

jtk

Russell Sansom
11-24-2011, 2:46 PM
Me too, Derek,
I truly admire your photography and the crispness of the annotation that goes with it. I've found it's much harder than it looks; to take pictures and notes as I build something. You make it look effortless.

thanks for setting the standard,

russ

jeth chiapas
11-24-2011, 5:40 PM
As it happens I am just having a browse around the forum whilst taking a coffee break. In the workshop is a half built tool rest for my stationary belt sander, largely inspired by Dereks' own version , though having now taken a different form based on my needs preferences and what I had laying around to build it with.
So I guess I should also take the opportunity to say thanks. I spent an afternoon reading through your site recently and found it hard to leave. As others have said you have a knack for explaining things. Also, totally neutral and almost scientifically accurate tool reviews are a refreshing change.

Thanks Derek, nice one :)