PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the wooden hinge

Duane Parcells
11-23-2011, 7:37 PM
Started playing around with the wooden hinge that was posted about a week ago. After spending a little time deconstructing it to allow for any size to be made I tried to come up with a way to use wood that is a little more aesthetically pleasing than baltic birch ply. The plywood is home made from walnut burl veneer. First ones I left the hinge uncovered. Keeping the veneer glue out of the hinge area was a little challenging. Some people liked the contrast between the hinge and the burl. Next up was to make one with the hinge cut into the veneer and the baltic ( The one with the velcro, I use the baltic as a core.) Some glues didn't do as well as others. The hinge became very stiff, one from the slight increase in thickness but it turned out the glue used had more effect than the added thickness of the veneer. Next was finding a way to use the hinge and real wood. The one here is with simple arrows but any shape could be used. None of these are cleaned or finished. The durability of the hinge really is amazing. Had the a neighbor kid try to ware it out. Stood up very well. Will try some finished items next.
Duane

Chuck Stone
11-23-2011, 7:54 PM
that burl looks great! Would make a nice cell phone case, I'd think

Dee Gallo
11-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Oh I LOVE these, Duane! I will have to follow your lead and play around with this concept. Thanks for pushing the envelope!

cheers, dee

Jiten Patel
11-24-2011, 4:18 AM
Amazing stuff - love the concept and can think of so many using, now I just need a flatbed to make em!

Barb Macdonald
11-24-2011, 3:35 PM
Where's the "like" button? Way Cool! Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Frank Corker
11-24-2011, 5:14 PM
Nicely done Duane

Tom Sieczkarek
11-25-2011, 9:42 AM
Duane, those really look great! Thanks for sharing!