PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Assortment: Shapes and Colors

Baxter Smith
11-23-2011, 5:46 PM
Last year, friends and family got bowls (that hopefully would be of some use). This year it may be dust collectors;) - in assorted shapes and colors.
Holly potpourri: rattle can lacquer and triple buffed

This was one of the sections from the spruce burl I cut in 2010. The only colorful part in this piece was the beginnings of some decay right under the bark.
Spruce Burl: 5.5h x 9w, polymerized tung oil

My cousin took out several plums (with his backhoe) last September. I cut a 2’ section of trunk from the brush pile in October and anchorsealed the ends. It spent the next year under an old tarp and some Maine Spruce. Brought it back to Delaware at the end of this past summer. Back under a tarp and into the woods it went. I finally got around to doing something with it a month ago. The ends were checked but the middle seemed ok. As I was turning, a couple cracks in the middle became apparent but it was pretty enough to keep going. CA has held them so far.
Plum: 9h x 5.5w, Bush Oil, then buffed with Ren wax
Of all the various kinds of embellishments that seem to be in style, sandblasting is the only one that wouldn't require buying more equipment.:rolleyes: ( Other than the proper media. Any recommendations on the type of media to use?) I have roughed out a variety of oak and sassafras pieces lately that I want to try it on but decided I would go with just the dye to begin.
Sasssafras: 4.5 x 4.5, Black transtint sanded back, then green transtint. 2 coats of Bush Oil then Ren wax buffed.
The spruce burl posted above was so low on the tree I had to partially dig out the roots. This is from one of them. The opening at the top is from the crotch of the root.
Black Spruce: 7h x 4.75w, Black transtint sanded back then blue transtint. 2 coats of Bush Oil then Renwax buffed.
Dr. K issued a “trio challenge” today in Hayes post on his beautiful Maple vase x 3. This doesn’t really qualify but it was the best I could do on such short notice David! ;):)

Baxter Smith
11-23-2011, 5:49 PM
If for some reason it does, I will raise you one spruce burl David,:D

or one Holly Potpourri.

My wife would like the dyed pieces to have more shine. I will try a different finish for the next ones but would using Tripoli first, then,white diamond (I’m assuming no white diamond on the sassafras) before the Ren wax accomplish that? I was unsure about the effect on the dye or wheels with the heavier buffing.
All thoughts, likes, dislikes etc. are appreciated!

Russell Eaton
11-23-2011, 5:54 PM
More fine turnings. Everyone should love them.

Nate Davey
11-23-2011, 6:42 PM
Nice variety of forms and finishes Baxter. All done very well.

John Spitters
11-23-2011, 6:48 PM
Very Nice turnings .. I especially like the smaller green hollowform, seems just the right size to pic up in your hands.

John

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2011, 7:12 PM
Those are beauties Baxter. Well done. I do like that trio.

David E Keller
11-23-2011, 7:20 PM
I think that qualifies as a beautiful trio, and the other two ain't too shabby either! Like John, I think that little green one looks like it needs to be held!

John Keeton
11-23-2011, 7:22 PM
Baxter, all are nice, but the black spruce and the sassafras are exceptional!! Very well done! The holly potpourri is neat, too - very clean holly, which is hard to get sometimes.

Hayes Rutherford
11-23-2011, 7:50 PM
Baxter, those are great and I too favor the black spruce but all are very cool. Looks like you win!!

David DeCristoforo
11-23-2011, 8:00 PM
All fine looking pieces. As a trio, the three hollow forms work great. They are similar enough to qualify as a "trio" but each has it's own distinct personality.

Jim Burr
11-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Wow!! Trio challange is over!! The holly caught my eye and the trio did the hook, line and sinker act on me...Wowza!!!

Baxter Smith
11-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for your feedback. Your favorites are mine as well. Hopefully its the form and not just the color.:)

I think that qualifies as a beautiful trio....!
Glad it passed muster David.:)

........ all are very cool. Looks like you win!!
Thanks Hayes. They may look cool but yours were real.;) That wins in my book every time!

Scott Hackler
11-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Really nice assortment and the coloring of the trio really compliment each other well. I am not sure what effect buffing an oiled surface will have. I have only buffed poly finished stuff and that works exceptionally well.

Joe Watson
11-24-2011, 12:24 AM
You do really nice work Baxter - they all look good. If i had the power to change, it would be the color of the green one - im personally not a big fan of solid green, but thats just me - nice job.

Kathy Marshall
11-24-2011, 2:32 AM
Those are some really nice pieces Baxter! My favorite would be the plum, or maybe the sassafrass, or maybe the black spruce, I just can't decide. They all look great and I like the group shot.

Norm Zax
11-24-2011, 3:37 AM
Great work. The burled spruce is superb!

Michelle Rich
11-24-2011, 7:11 AM
What a lovely asst. of holiday gifts. Pieces from the heart are always wonderful to receive. Terrific job.

Steve Schlumpf
11-24-2011, 4:39 PM
Baxter - you did a great job on all these turnings! Love the variety! Buffing will allow simple finishes to have more of a sheen but if you are looking for more of a gloss, then consider WOP or lacquer.

Curt Fuller
11-24-2011, 6:43 PM
Now that's a diverse group of turnings. All are beautiful but I always seem to gravitate towards something with a natural edge. I love that blue burl piece.

Ken Hill
11-24-2011, 7:22 PM
Quite a mix there Baxter!!! Looking good from here!

Rich Aldrich
11-24-2011, 8:25 PM
Baxter - Nice work. I really like the plum hollow form (9" high) and the oak. They all look nice. I have turned some black spruce burls which can be incredible with the different color variations - carmel, black, blue/gray which are all marbled together.

Baxter Smith
11-25-2011, 9:13 AM
Thanks for all your positive comments!

Baxter - you did a great job on all these turnings! Love the variety! Buffing will allow simple finishes to have more of a sheen but if you are looking for more of a gloss, then consider WOP or lacquer.
Thanks Steve. This trio reminds me of three things I remember you saying. Something to the effect of "Your tastes will change", "hollow forms can be addicting" and something about adding color to turnings though I don't remember the exact wording.:) I can't remember anything specific about segmented work, but if you did, you don't need to remind me of it.;)

I will give the lacquer or WOP a try soon. I have been able to build up a pretty good shine with AO or Poymerized tung oil but the Bush Oil seems to be a different animal when it comes to building gloss.

.... I have turned some black spruce burls which can be incredible with the different color variations - carmel, black, blue/gray which are all marbled together.
I have looked at some of your spruce burl turnings Rich and the colors in your wood were nonexistant with this particular burl. I cut another burl this summer that came from the same island in Maine and it also just had the clear spruce color.....or lack of it.

Thanks again for all your help!

Bruce Yasitis
11-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Wonderfull color on the trio. They make an impressive 'set'.

charlie knighton
11-25-2011, 3:48 PM
very nice, Baxter