PDA

View Full Version : My very first Christmas ornament

Roger Chandler
11-23-2011, 4:58 PM
Ash and walnut........only has a seal coat of shellac on it at present, so more sanding and some WOP are in its future. Pardon my makeshift ornament holder [clothes hanger :o]

I am just trying to figure out the process. This is the first time I have used the mini hollowing tools I got from PSI about 2 weeks ago. I am sure I will get the hang of it and hopefully get some nice looking ones before too long......

I am fairly satisfied with this one for my first.....I will likely dress up the icicle part some on the next one.

Comments welcome!

Richard Jones
11-23-2011, 5:39 PM
Coat hangers got feelings, too..........

I like that one, Roger, and the contrast is eye-catching. To me, the icicle is fine, but I think I'd shorten up the top just a bit.

Rich

Scott Hackler
11-23-2011, 5:41 PM
Thats a nice ornament Roger, let alone for your first one. One thing that I found out through family critiques is to make the bulb as light as possible (weight) so it doesn't hang heavy on the tree and to make the bulb out of a lighter colored wood. Otherwise the ornaments disappear into the green of the tree.

Baxter Smith
11-23-2011, 5:52 PM
Congrats Roger. You are way ahead of me. I like the natural color combo!

Betty Fox
11-23-2011, 6:02 PM
Beautiful ornament. I like the color combination. Perhaps make the ball a little smaller next time. Very nice.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2011, 6:56 PM
Great first ornament Roger. I generally use rattle can lacquer as it is faster the poly.

John Keeton
11-23-2011, 7:16 PM
Perfect wood combo, Roger!! Nice work. The globe may look a little more proportionate with a longer icicle.

Ed Morgano
11-23-2011, 7:28 PM
I love the combo of wood. I'll have to get some ash too. Nice work, especially for your first.

Hayes Rutherford
11-23-2011, 7:55 PM
Roger, that's a great ornament, keep them coming!! I'm with Bernie, Krylon from Walmart.

Roger Chandler
11-23-2011, 8:01 PM
Thanks for all the tips.............they are helpful...........Bernie and Hayes.........I'll give that lacquer a shot! Betty and John......I think the icicle would be better a little longer as well.......my wood blanks on this one determined its length.....when one is doing their first.........well I just used what I had laying around.........thought since this was basically a prototype, it would go on our tree..

My wife walked in from work, and saw it on top of the wood stove, and said........"that's cute!" She never said a word about the cherry burl "Gnarly Sophisticate" ..........guess that tells me what she thought of that one! :eek::D

Thom Sturgill
11-23-2011, 9:59 PM
Looks good Roger. Especially for a first. As others have said - lacquer and polish. I just finished a bunch of acorns waiting on birds and lacquered and Beall buffed - the shine will look great on the tree.

I took a weekend course with Alan Leland on these. He does very delicate icicles. He teaches to make the globe an oblate or flattened sphere. The 'cap' portion of the top and icicle should visually round the globe.

Donny Lawson
11-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Nice ornament. I like the colors. Which Mini hollowing set did you get?

Roger Chandler
11-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Nice ornament. I like the colors. Which Mini hollowing set did you get?

Donny,

Scott Hackler and Bernie Weishapl both recommended this set to me...........so far I am happy with them.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHOL3.html

Reasonable price as well. :)

Michelle Rich
11-24-2011, 7:21 AM
great firsts!! they will brighten up the holiday!

Tony De Masi
11-24-2011, 9:09 AM
Real nice first Roger especially the color combo. I also agree about making the finial(s) a bit longer. Take a look at Robert Rosand's wesite about ornaments. He even has his tutorial for you to down load. He has sold over 10,000 of them as of last spring.

Roger Chandler
11-24-2011, 9:11 AM
Real nice first Roger especially the color combo. I also agree about making the finial(s) a bit longer. Take a look at Robert Rosand's wesite about ornaments. He even has his tutorial for you to down load. He has sold over 10,000 of them as of last spring.

Thanks Tony, I appreciate the info on Robert's website...........I will take a look!

Roger Chandler
11-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Great first ornament Roger. I generally use rattle can lacquer as it is faster the poly.

Bernie,

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip on the lacquer........I did that today on this ornament..........sanded the shellac with 500 grit and then 1000 grit abralon pads then sprayed with lacquer..........slick as glass! Left a nice gloss finish on it!

David E Keller
11-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Nicely done, Roger! I've picked up a few tips from the responses as well!

Dan Forman
11-25-2011, 1:15 AM
A good looker there Roger. I like ash or boxelder for the globe, as they both are quite light in color, and stand out nicely.

Dan

Rick Markham
11-25-2011, 6:00 AM
The first one looks like a winner too me! I really like it Roger! I haven't made an ornament yet, I guess I better hurry if I am going to make it in time this year LOL