PDA

View Full Version : New use for "funnels"

tom martin
11-23-2011, 4:28 PM
One of my best customers asked if I would turn her some large spheres. I started them last summer and was patiently waiting for them to dry. I got a call from her last night saying that Christmas was coming and she needed them. Well I dropped everything and got four finished. I was having a hard time applying finish and keeping them from rolling off the table when I remembered I had saved a few bowls that I had turned into funnels!:D Every cloud DOES have a silver lining!
Tom

Russell Neyman
11-23-2011, 4:45 PM
Gotta bite my tongue on this one. The spheres are nice, though.

Scott Hackler
11-23-2011, 4:51 PM
Tom,

Do you turn your spheres by hand or do you have a jig? Those are vary round looking spheres and look to be a pretty decent size.

Richard Jones
11-23-2011, 5:36 PM
Funnels? Nah.........they are now repurposed into custom Sphere Finishing Stands. A buck three ninety eight, plus shipping.

Nice looking spheres. I want to do a few and give to the grandbabies so they can roll them around THEIR house...........:D

Rich

Baxter Smith
11-23-2011, 5:55 PM
Nice looking spheres! Don't know if I should say this but "hope you had enough funnels!":)

David E Keller
11-23-2011, 7:09 PM
That's funny! Now maybe my wife will understand why I have a hard time throwing stuff out!

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2011, 7:14 PM
Now that is a idea. I have about 4 of them sitting on the shelf. Like David I can't throw anything away.:D

tom martin
11-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Scott,
The spheres were turned free hand. I saw Richard Raffan make one in a video, looked like fun -Ive been making them ever since (especially when someone said they would pay me for them!). They are easier to do than they look. They started out around 18 inches , but they lost a little in drying and trueing up.
Tom

Michelle Rich
11-24-2011, 7:25 AM
smart to use the rejects as holders! clever! those spheres look excellent. pretty wood & great shape for doing it "by hand"..when she gets them, I'm sure she'll be pleased.

John Keeton
11-24-2011, 7:29 AM
Tom, these spheres are kind of new for me - are they hollowed? If not, how do you keep them from cracking badly? Very nice work, BTW! Love the look of the wood - what species?

tom martin
11-24-2011, 9:53 AM
John,
They are solid spalted popple. The customer wanted them asap so I used turners choice from Cedarcyde to hasten drying and minimize cracking. They still cracked and were filled with popple dust and CA glue.
Tom

Thom Sturgill
11-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Offer her the 'stands' at an extra price! Nice job!