PDA

View Full Version : FYI Foley automatic handsaw sharpener listed in New Orleans Craigslist

Peter Travis
11-23-2011, 3:53 PM
First off- I'm not the guy selling it- don't know him- etc, etc. I just saw the posting.

I don't know anything about the sharpener, but figured someone out there might be interested if they are within driving distance of New Orleans, LA.
The posting states that it needs a new wire and he wants $100 for it.

neworleans.craigslist.org/tls/2715040339

-Peter

Chris Griggs
11-23-2011, 6:56 PM
I want that! Doggonit! I have nowhere to put it, and Archie (fellow NO creeker) is out of the country a the moment. Maybe it will still be there in a week. Its in my neighborhood too - probably within 10 minutes from my apartment.

James Taglienti
11-23-2011, 7:33 PM
Are those any good? I know a guy who has about 8 of them. I heard somewhere that theyre missing parts most of the time. Are they tough to learn?

Chris Griggs
11-23-2011, 7:51 PM
Don't know. Maybe it's not what I think it is for. Don't people use them to cut saw teeth or is that something else?

Jonathan McCullough
11-23-2011, 8:23 PM
If you get it make sure it has the carriers. You may also find ratchet bars for the re-toother, which is a separate machine. This machine is a sharpener--there are manuals online.

Chris Griggs
11-23-2011, 8:28 PM
If you get it make sure it has the carriers. You may also find ratchet bars for the re-toother, which is a separate machine. This machine is a sharpener--there are manuals online.

Meh. I was thinking it was a toother. That would be cooler. I'm perfectly happy to sharpen by hand.

george wilson
11-23-2011, 8:49 PM
I had 2 of these Foleys at work. They were never reliable,and I can't tell you how many saws we had to re tooth because of them. They'd miss ratcheting to the next tooth usually,in the course of filing a saw. Then,they'd file the same tooth twice,leaving it MUCH deeper than the others. Had to shear the teeth off and re punch the saw's teeth after that. Ended up hand filing the saws we made.

I tried adjusting the machines a number of times to no avail. One was in quite excellent condition. The other I had attributed to being old, and found another in nearly new condition. It behaved the same way.

Nicholas Lingg
11-24-2011, 7:43 AM
2nd George