PDA

View Full Version : Fence for Router Table in TS extension

Mike Cruz
11-23-2011, 3:28 PM
I have a Delta Unisaw with 52" Biesemeyer fence. I have been thinking, for some time now, of putting a router lift in the extension table. I recently fell across a PC 960 rounter, and am waiting to get a Woodpeckers Sidewinder Router Lift (either on sale or used). My question is when I install the Sidewinder, I will need some sort of fence for it. I was thinking I could just use my TS fence with maybe an attachment that I could install whenever I used the router table (it won't really be all that often). Then thought of maybe getting a seperate Biesemeyer fence and just have it rigged up so all I have to do is grab it and go.

What do you all use?

Alan Bienlein
11-23-2011, 3:57 PM
I bought a second table saw fence and made a router fence to attach to it.

Victor Robinson
11-23-2011, 4:33 PM
Mike, I have an attachment I slip on to my Sawstop's fence. It uses Rockler's aluminum angle fence + a plywood base and back (to clamp to the TS fence) + shopmade split fence. It's handy to have the TS fence do double-duty, but can be a negative as well if you like to be able to leave a setup on your TS or router table. I always meant to build some accessory compartments into it but I don't use it much after building a router cabinet for an Incra setup.

EDIT: LOL, I don't know why the photos are upside-down, but hopefully you'll get the point...

Mike Cruz
11-23-2011, 5:23 PM
Alan, wow, that's a little more elaborate than I plan/hope to go...but nice set up!

Victor, sorry, but upside down, I really can't "see" it. Maybe what I'm having trouble with is that if your picture is upside down, you must have lights on your floors... :eek: :rolleyes: :D Probably a reflection, but it is throwing me all off. Bottom line is, it looks like you clamp something to your regular fence...kinda what I was picturing.

Mike Delyster
11-23-2011, 5:24 PM
Here are some pictures of one I made for my saw/router table, I used scrap 3/4" MDF. I prefer separate fences, with 52' rails the router fence is rarely in the way of using the saw.

Don Jarvie
11-23-2011, 6:57 PM
I made a home made fence to attach to the craftsman fence. I need to remake it now that I have a Bies. Rockler sells the clamps to attach an aux fence to a bies so I will incorporate using the clamps in the fence.

Its not that hard to make a fence and cut the hole for the lift. Hardest part is when you rout the hole it needs to be level with the table so there is no dip when you push the piece across the table.

Steven Wayne
11-23-2011, 7:29 PM
I have the Bench Dog cast iron router table extension on the left side of my Unisaw. The Bench Dog setup came with a fence. When I have used that I registered it off of my Beisemeyer fence on the Unisaw to get it parallel(ish) to the miter slot in the router table. Just this week I added an Incra LS positioner to the router table. I am very happy with the Incra setup, especially for using it as a fence for the router. I do not have the Incra table saw setup, just the router.

Alan Lightstone
11-23-2011, 8:43 PM
+1 on the Incra LS Positioner

Steven Wayne
11-23-2011, 9:02 PM
I mount the LS Positioner to the table saw miter grooves with the mounting hardware from a Rockler miter track feather board setup. I had to slightly enlarge the two holes I used in the Positioner's base so the 5/16 screw could pass through. The plastic knob won't clear the base, so I used a nut. It holds it in position great and takes a few seconds to loosen the nuts enough to lift it off the table.

I bought the 25" Super System on ebay for about $390. It was drop shipped from Incra. The shorter 17" arm system wouldn't be long enough to mount in the far away miter slot on my saw. The price difference isn't much, maybe $20. You have to use router bits that are made for the Incra system if you want to use the joinery templates. I got mine from Holbren using the SMC 10% off discount. I've made a couple of boxes trying out the system to get the hang of things. It works really well for joinery. And as a router fence I'm not sure how it could be better. I'm very happy with the purchase.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NoHq4vfaQCY/Ts2jlhFOn1I/AAAAAAAAGSo/Ztl75z6is_g/s800/IMG_4941.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WlwWQzu1kJo/Ts2jlCa3ZkI/AAAAAAAAGSo/LVXC1skF9Qc/s800/IMG_4939.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uQ5ofXLkr8M/Ts2jlYd0gEI/AAAAAAAAGSo/Po4JJuhQVWo/s800/IMG_4937.JPG

keith micinski
11-23-2011, 10:50 PM
I also use an incra but have found that on rare occasions whereI mess something up I have to break It back down to use the table saw. I have a 52 inch unifence but I also have the 25 inch incra because I got a hell of a deal on it used. If I was buying new I wouldn't consider getting the 25 inch because when are you ever going to need that much routing space. I am definatey going to make a jig that mounts onto the back of my peach tree unifence for the quick router work like rounding over an edge or something small. I love having the incra all though I do have some minor complaints about it, but I think a quick easy attachment would be worth having especially since it will be virtually free.