PDA

View Full Version : Car Radio Reception

BOB OLINGER
11-23-2011, 1:27 PM
I recently purchased an '05 Toyota Corolla S for use as a commuter car. The previous owner installed an after market Kenwood receiver so his wife could plug in her I Pod. I like to listen to AM radio, however, the reception is weak combined with interference; FM seems good. My first thought was an antenna problem so I unscrewed the exterior antenna and result was complete loss of reception. Does anyone have any ideas on what to check? Could I still have antenna problems under the dash (ie. bad connection, short from other wiring, other)? I'm not crazy on figuring out how to pull the receiver, but that's an option. I also have the original unit, but the previous owner said the Kenwood should be better. Thanks, in advance, for any solution ideas.

Bryan Morgan
11-23-2011, 2:29 PM
I recently purchased an '05 Toyota Corolla S for use as a commuter car. The previous owner installed an after market Kenwood receiver so his wife could plug in her I Pod. I like to listen to AM radio, however, the reception is weak combined with interference; FM seems good. My first thought was an antenna problem so I unscrewed the exterior antenna and result was complete loss of reception. Does anyone have any ideas on what to check? Could I still have antenna problems under the dash (ie. bad connection, short from other wiring, other)? I'm not crazy on figuring out how to pull the receiver, but that's an option. I also have the original unit, but the previous owner said the Kenwood should be better. Thanks, in advance, for any solution ideas.

You might be able to get around to the back of the receiver through the side of the console/dash (where you put your fit). You might need a few yoga classes first but it might be easier than removing the head unit.... just depends. Some just require a bent hanger doodad and they pop right out. Kenwoods usually have these little key things you slide down each side and pull which pulls the whole unit out. Without those keys its not so easy to remove.

Greg Portland
11-23-2011, 3:01 PM
Bob, you're going to need to pop out the unit. Crutchfield will have the appropriate tools / shims.

When you are checking the connections, make sure that the antenna power lead is connected. People without power antennas think they don't need to connect this but they're wrong... there is an antenna booster that's powered off the same lead & the result is very poor reception.

Don Wacker
11-23-2011, 5:56 PM
Look for the trim adjustment on the back of the receiver. Its a screw that adjust the antenna trim. Trim has to be adjusted for your area.

Don