PDA

View Full Version : Saltbox

Jim Burr
11-23-2011, 12:53 PM
With all the renewed interest in Saltboxes, I thought I'd better get off my duff. Some great cherry from Steve Carter. 4" tall 4 1/2" wide 5/16" walls and the base is about 3/4" for a little ballast. RE double mag snap closure with torsion pin hinge. 3 coats of WOP so far with nothing on the inside...ever! It should hold about a cup and a quarter of salt. It's been so long since I made one I was suprised I didn't have to look at the tutorial:rolleyes:! Total time spent minus finishing was 4 hours. I did a bulk buy of RE magnets a few years ago...something lke 100 1/16x1/4 for $10 on ebay and the pins are anywhere...I go to OSH around the corner and grabbed a handful. Enjoy and C&C is welcomed! Happy Thanksgiving folks!!:D

steven carter
11-23-2011, 12:59 PM
You made a great salt box with the cherry I sent you, I'm glad you made good use of it. When you say you use a torsion pin, are you using what is also called a roll pin?

Steve

Jim Burr
11-23-2011, 1:07 PM
One of these little guys...Roll pin, C pin, Torsion pin...the list goes on;)

steven carter
11-23-2011, 1:11 PM
Gotcha, thanks! In this neck of the woods, I've only heard them called roll pins, maybe I need to get out more ;)

Steve Mawson
11-23-2011, 8:45 PM
Like the salt box. Has there been a tutorial for this project? Would like to see if there has been??

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2011, 9:26 PM
Nice salt box. I gotta make one of those.

Donny Lawson
11-23-2011, 10:02 PM
A friend of mine makes these little salt boxes but instead of a pin hinge, he uses those little 1/4 "Earth magnets". And they hold very well. I thought he had a regular hinge on it. You have a very nice box. thanks for sharing..

John Keeton
11-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Jim, this is a nice one! Many years ago, decades actually, I was involved in a lawsuit over a "salt cellar" - porcelain as I recall. The value of it was $12, and just my fees (there were three attorneys involved) exceeded $2,000. In those days, that was a lot of money!

Donny, looks like Jim is using both the roll pin and the magnets.

Baxter Smith
11-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Nice job on the box Jim. I picked up 10 little RE magnets a couple weeks ago. Someday I will get around to using them.

Jim Burr
11-23-2011, 10:44 PM
A friend of mine makes these little salt boxes but instead of a pin hinge, he uses those little 1/4 "Earth magnets". And they hold very well. I thought he had a regular hinge on it. You have a very nice box. thanks for sharing..
Been there Donny...it's an akward function. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and the pin/mag works really well

Jim Burr
11-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Like the salt box. Has there been a tutorial for this project? Would like to see if there has been??

There is Steve, after I get up tomorrow, I'll PM it to you...finishing 3 more from some Mike Smith curly maple and these are getting dyed...thinking one green and one orange...maybe blue...crap...Happy Thanksgiving folks!!!

Bruce Lundgren
11-24-2011, 4:58 AM
Very nice saltbox, Jim. I love working with cherry. The tutorial you sent me is very helpful. Thanks for sharing it. I'm about to try turning my first one.
Bruce

Primvs Aebvtivs
11-24-2011, 2:57 PM
For Jim, would you pm me the link too please? Thanks, would like to see more detail on it (my eyes aren't what they used to be...)

robert baccus
11-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Jim, this is a flush hinge I have used on small boxes. Needs no mortise--just a round hole. Woodcraft catalog--Part # 27c12--Soss hinge. Requires 3/4" wood but you can cheat with epoxy glue. Good luck. The magnets sound good also. Nice box.

robert baccus
11-07-2013, 8:11 PM
Just a PS to the above. This hinge raises the lid up as well as back allowing for a overhanging lip.