PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Turners in San Diego

Brian Kent
11-23-2011, 11:14 AM
San Diego Turners?

A local church found a beautiful pattern in a tree they just cut down. No, I'm not calling it a miraculous revelation, just a really beautiful grain pattern. I wrote to them and got e-mails returned so far, but I'll try to reach them by phone today.

I recommended sealing it immediately. I would like to suggest to them turning a couple of platters or bowls, but I do not yet turn. Is there anyone who would get a kick out of doing this for them? If so, post a reply and I'll try to get them in touch with you.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/escondido/escondido-church-tree-removal-reveals-cross-in-log/article_03bea666-fcf3-5300-af0a-a9dd28308504.html

charlie knighton
11-23-2011, 1:43 PM
good luck turning the pith as the main figure

Brian Kent
11-23-2011, 3:46 PM
Hey, I don't know my pith from my xylem and phloem. Is it unusual to turn the full cross section of a log? As I said, I have never turned.

David E Keller
11-23-2011, 7:15 PM
Interesting idea, but I can't imagine trying to successfully turn, dry, and re-turn end grain pine. Also, depending on how large the logs are, it might require a lathe with more swing than the 20" I've got. Even worse, I noticed that they made it available to the congregation for firewood... Probably not a good choice for the fireplace either! Interesting story, but I'd pass on the wood!

Brian Kent
11-23-2011, 9:15 PM
If I hang out with y'all, by the time I get a lathe, I might know somethin'