PDA

View Full Version : HELP - How to laser a grayscale image using a Chinese laser?

John Barton
11-23-2011, 12:16 AM
This is one time I REALLY miss the Universal and the driver that came with it. I just can't figure out the best way to laser a jpg. I have an image that should be easy but it comes out completely black.

I have a laser that is the equivalent of the Rabbit Lasers and uses the same drivers. We use CorelDraw to run it with the plug-in.

I have had to turn down a lot of work because people send me jpgs and I just can't figure out how to make them work. We usually end up finding a vector alternative to use if we can.

What am I doing wrong? (other than not owning a Universal etc....)

Rodne Gold
11-23-2011, 1:18 AM
Either use Photograv or the free "gold method" to do the pics , no more problems.
ALL lasers actually convert the greyscale picture to a 1 bit one , ie will reduce the greyscale to black dot density patterns, the difference is that either the laser does it internally (the Universal driver) or externally. We do it ALL externally as it gives more control , even with our GCC's which have internal convertors.

John Barton
11-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks Rodne,

Found it http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?91076-Converting-programs-for-Engraving-Manual-Method-and-Adobe-Photoshop

Andy Selley
12-01-2011, 8:15 AM
Hi Rodney, as an obvious recognised guru on here I wonder if you can help me. My laser will only recognise Vector files, anything produced in Photshop, or any other graphics package will only produce a Raster. Whilst you can trace in Illustrator, the results are mediocre at their very best. So how do I run a grayscale file with any sucess?

Cheers

Andy

Dan Hintz
12-01-2011, 11:06 AM
If your laser only recognizes vector and not raster, there is really no way to force it. You can cheat somewhat going the other way, but not vector to raster.

Ross Moshinsky
12-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi Rodney, as an obvious recognised guru on here I wonder if you can help me. My laser will only recognise Vector files, anything produced in Photshop, or any other graphics package will only produce a Raster. Whilst you can trace in Illustrator, the results are mediocre at their very best. So how do I run a grayscale file with any sucess?

Cheers

Andy

Photoshop files are raster files. If you want a file with a vector and a raster, you need to use something like CorelDraw, Illustrator, or Inkscape. Take your raster image and import it in to one of those programs and then add your vectors while in Corel, Illustrator, or Inkscape. From there your laser should be able to produce a vector and a raster.